Battery Grip for 50D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Grip for 50D

Does anyone have any views on the use of a battery grip? I purchased one a while ago for my 50d and whilst I have found it useful for portrait work in the studio due to the camera controls being available in portrait mode I must admit that it now spends most of the time back in the box. The reason for this is that I find that the BG-E2N on a 50d makes the camera very bulky, increases the weight dramatically and when used on a tripod for Macro or Landscape work it tends to make the camera a tad unstable even with a Giotto ball head.

I do wonder whether the battery grip was really a worthwhile purchase or just another item for ebay, any thoughts?
    Canon 7D MKii, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6L IS, Canon 17-40 f4L, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 f3.5

http://janandkeith.co.uk

Re: Battery Grip for 50D

It is obviously up to you and how you work. FWIW I always thought that battery grips were a hindrance until I started shooting with a 1D which effectively has a grip and second set of controls built in it became obvious that I 'needed' a grip for the 5D. I have to say that the 5D grip only gets fitted when needed, sports, action, events that sort of thing. Used as a walk about camera or for macro or landscape, I would agree that the grip adds extra weight and bulk whilst offering little advantage.
    Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

I put one on the 400D mainly for the purpose of balance with the 70-200 f4 and found I liked the duplicate buttons and battery life. When I upgraded to the 7D the grip was an essential for me. I can appreciate the effect it has on weight and size so it's really down to whether it suits you or not.
      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

putting my hand up and admitting to buying a grip and it sitting in its box.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

I would not be without my Battery Grip, i always buy the grip when buying the boddy as i did with 350D,40D,5D, 7D they stay on i never remove them.
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
          Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
          Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

I bought a grip for my 7d and it has never been off since, I find it gives better balance to the camera, and the extra battery means I never have to worry about power even on the longest days shooting, I do agree however when using the tripod it seems a little unbalanced at first but it doesn't move. I'd try again with yours.

Ray

Comment

I have a grip for my 50D and agree with the comments WRT balance and additional battery capability. I find that when using the camera handheld and walkabout it adds to the camera ergonomics. However with the grip on and using a tripod I have experienced movement (in windy and exposed situations) resulting in soft images. This movement is in the conditions described, very noticeable when using live view.
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Came back to add, put the grip on the camera. The strap I use has loop to attach the grip so I used this as well, seems to make the camera sit better while I'm carrying it. Surprised myself. :smile:
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X