Under a storm cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under a storm cloud

Looking south down the coast from Strumble Head, West Wales. Taken last week at sunset. The streak across the water is the strong currents.

comments welcome

EXIF

VIEW ON BLACK

Re: Under a storm cloud

I like the clouds - it gives a very strong effect, but I'm unsure of the foreground. For me it is too much of a black mass. (Cropping it out wouldn't work for me either, because then you would get too many horizontal lines).
    Perhaps, just a different angle of view??
    However - on the other hand, I can also see the shape of the foreground reflecting the shape of the storm clouds!

Richard
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Originally posted by eeyore View Post
      I like the clouds - it gives a very strong effect, but I'm unsure of the foreground. For me it is too much of a black mass.
      Yes, I wasn't really happy with the foreground mass. I'll have another go, I think. Thanks for the comment.

Comment

Version 2.

Did two exposures in ACR and blended them in Photoshop then converted to B+W. The foreground has much more detail in this one. And the clouds look more dramatic. The small island on the middle horizon is Grassholm, the Gannet colony. The one on the left of it is Skokholm Island.

VIEW ON BLACK

Last edited by carregwen; 26-09-2009, 21:38.

Comment

Sorry Rob - I still don't like the foreground - it still comes out a bit flat for me. I don't really find any dimension or perspective, so I don't know where the eye can look. If you could have got the sun's rays coming through the clouds - that would have been good AND maybe a silhouette in the foreground. Something to draw the eye to.
          Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

I don't know about this one. I keep coming back to it, but I'm still not sure.

I don't think this is legal, but what I'd try is horizontally flipping everything in the bottom two thirds so that the land mass doesn't 'copy' the shape or the cloud formation but rather balances it in the frame.
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by eeyore View Post
              Sorry Rob - I still don't like the foreground - it still comes out a bit flat for me. I don't really find any dimension or perspective, so I don't know where the eye can look. If you could have got the sun's rays coming through the clouds - that would have been good AND maybe a silhouette in the foreground. Something to draw the eye to.
              I felt the same - the foreground does look a bit up-right. In a sense, it was. I was up near the Youth Hostel on top of the cliff looking down on the foreground area, which is why it has that perspective. It's important to get into the right position (said the actress to the Bishop)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                I don't know about this one. I keep coming back to it, but I'm still not sure.
                Try another drink?

Comment

All I can say is WOW. The dark foreground works well
                  David

http://hotkeezphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

Fine job Rob I really like it. But I live in sunny hot southern California so when I look at your shot I can feel the cool air on my face. Quite nice.

Howard

Comment

Working...
                    X