Blackpool Lights Walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackpool Lights Walk

Walked the Blackpool Lights last night (Starr Gate to Bispham). Very quiet compared with previous years ... rumours of a lack of displays is having an impact.

1. Heritage Tram

2. And another one

3. Ferris Wheel & Tower

4. South Pier

I'll win no prizes for these ... but hopefully it shows how hard very low light photography can be ... without Tripod etc.

All hand held (**) ... 40D plus 17-40L ... at least ISO400 and often much higher. ** - Used whatever was about to support camera. Dry & Mild.

Anyway thanks for looking and I hopefully haven't wasted your time.
    Last edited by MX5; 23-10-2011, 19:55.

Re: Blackpool Lights Walk

You certainly haven't wasted my time looking at these MX5
    In fact they bring back memories of when we visited Blackpool a few years back.
    The other half and I very rarely argue or fall out but we certainly did that day.
    We had just bought a new car and decided to go away for the week. With nothing planned we set off and stopped off in Scarborough for the night then spent a few great days in York.
    So far so good!!
    We decided to stop off at Blackpool for a couple of nights to see the lights. OMG what a nightmare. The hotel was billed as wiining awards - awards in what I'm not sure.
    I'll never set foot in Blackpool again!! Its certainly not our cup of tea.
    The lights were good though.
    We then spent a night in the Lake District before driving home - in silence.
    Although it certainly hasn't been our greatest stop off point to date, its the one we talk about most.

Mike
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Thanks for sharing these MX5. You done well.
      I have never visited Blackpool for the illuminations.

This has reminded me of my visit to Blackpool with 3 friends back in the late 70s.
      We were all 17 years old but one had already passed his driving test and bought a VW Beetle.
      For a change of scenery we all decided to go to Blackpool for the weekend and get away from seeing the same faces in the same places at home.
      We found accommodation which was ok for four 17 year olds.
      On the Sunday we went to the Pleasure Beach for rides on the Rollercoaster, Grand National, Crazy Mouse etc..
      When we arrived we were surprised to see that 3 or 4 coach loads of people had arrived at Blackpool from Hereford and many were at the Pleasure Beach.
      The same faces ..........

Comment

Like three and four with the reflections in the water. Been to Blackpool when the illuminations where on, saw them from the warmth and comfort of a coach. Freezing weather. Spent the rest of the time in the hotel bar.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks all. I'm not really a fan of Blackpool (or resorts in general) but our club does an annual walk the lights so every other year I try and be social That said the colours are very photogenic ... but there is a real challenge in taking snaps. AF doesn't always lock-on for one, and you really need a decent tripod etc to do the job properly.

Comment

I think they are really nice, I think you did very well without a tripod, I have not been to Blackpool to see the lights for 47 years, went in an old "sit up and beg" Ford Popular, I even slept in it could not afford dig's then, but had a fabulous time, I cant go again in case I burst the memory, thank for sharing.

Ray

Comment

Ray - Thanks for taking the time to look and nice feedback.

Comment

hey wow! they are great pictures... how do you use the camera for night mode?

Comment

Top work MX - really like these

PS Blackpool looks its best at night!

Comment

Well done, especially without a tripod.
                    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny View Post
                      hey wow! they are great pictures... how do you use the camera for night mode?
                      You need to be able to change settings in the dark (like ISO) ... so you need to be very familiar with the camera. I just looked for splashes of colour. Exposures ... generally I would start at 1/30 f/4 ISO-400 and see what that yields and adjust as appropriate. AF works fine ... most of the time. #1 used the built-in flash as the tram was very close. Use whatever street furniture has a flat top as a support (otherwise deep breath etc). If you have a lens with IS then that might convey benefits.

Comment

Great series, very colourful, I like them and want to visit there sometime
                        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Really nice MX5. I visited Blackpool many years ago and saw the famous lights. I also remember the difficulty in finding a B&B as almost all the advertised ones were booked,taken and occupied. Your pics encourages me to go again. Well done.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                          X