Cromerty Firth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cromerty Firth

Working around Invergordon yesterday and caught a lovely bright misty morning. There are a number of rigs in for repair at the moment.

C+C Welcome. Peter.
    Last edited by Petros; 01-10-2009, 07:52.

Re: Cromerty Firth

I think #1 is the best, it looks like a scene from The Fog, where is Jamie Lee Curtis :) #2 could do with the horizon levelling just a tad I think. Thanks for posting.
    Steve

Constructive criticism and comments greatly appreciated.

Comment

#1 is a very nice shot. The birds add to the image.

#2 seems to lack detail to focus on. Might be better with half the sea area cropped off?

Comment

#2 seems to lack detail to focus on. Might be better with half the sea area cropped off?
        fully agree. I think if you cropped a portion of the bottom up it would give an interesting dynamic to the photo.

Comment

Thanks for the comments Steve, Rob and MS!

The second one I saw working as a pano, agree that something needs to be taken off the bottom at least. Sorry, no JLC - was even a bit annoyed at first that the birds got in the way, till I realised they probably made the shot a whole lot more interesting!

Comment

Great atmospheric shots. I do agree that #2 would benefit from a bottom crop. Cheers, Bill

Comment

#1 is the better shot here IMO however I think it would work even better as a tighter crop with the rig set to the right and the birds balancing the shot. The birds definately add to the shot but I think it's the mist makes it. It would work well as a high contrast mono too.

I think #2 works well cropped to a panoramic with the blacks deepened a touch and the saturation lifted a smidge to bring out the orange cloud a little more.

Unfortunately you have picked up a bit of flare in the top right and your sensor needs a clean though.

Mike
              www.mikesivyer.co.uk

Comment

Hi Mike, thanks for the advice, much appreciated. This sequence of shots showed up how really dirty my sensor is!

Comment

The rigs in this area do provide a good subject in all weathers and on the face of it I like both shots.

Yes there is flare and dust but it's part of the learning curve to deal with them.

Compositionally I prefer the first as the second one has the main subject a touch too distant for my liking. With the first though the rig is slap bang in the centre of frame. I'd crop a bit off the right and bottom to offset that. The birds give a nice finishing touch.

Comment

Hi Hawkeye, thanks for the comments. The flare I can live with given the amount of sunlight in the image, the dust managed to get by unnoticed or it would have been zapped!

I would disagree re the crop, in this instance the main subject being central works best, the birds were a bonus as they add depth to the shot. Cropping to move the rig to the right creates a split frame effect with both the rig and the flock of birds vying equally for attention, whereas the shot as displayed has a balance to it - in my opinion, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post
                      ......There are a number of rigs in for repair at the moment....
                      And the company I work for have guys doing the refurbishments/repairs on most of them.

Excellent shots Peter
                      Bob Turner
                      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Cheers Bob. The company I work for supply welding materials for winch repairs - much nicer area than the standard industrial estate!

Peter

Comment

Working...
                        X