50mm mk1 vs mk2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50mm mk1 vs mk2

Please note this is my personal opinion only!

This is the first part of my test between Canon's 50mm 'Nifty Fifty' mk1 & mk2 (1st part because the weather is awful so it's indoors only) mounted on the 7D and hand held.

mk1

mk2

The first things you notice between the 2 lenses are the mk1 is slightly heavier (both tiny so wont make any difference in the real world) also the mk1 is definitely better made, it has a metal mounting and a focal gauge where as the mk 2 has a plastic mount and no gauge. The other main point is the focus ring on the mk1 it is part way along the barrel making it very easy to use but on the mk2 they have stuck it right on the very end and it's tiny so if you have anything other than toothpicks for fingers you may struggle with manual focusing on the mk2 - made worse if you have a hood fitted. NOTE: they are both fairly noisy when using auto focus with the mk1 winning out by a very small margin.

Right down to image comparison - to be perfectly honest with you, there is very little between the two, at least from the indoor / pop up flash tests I have done so far - I may amend this once I have ventured outside. If anything I think the mk1 is very slightly sharper 'on point' and has a slightly shallower depth of field than the mk2 - but you would have to be very critical in your shooting to really notice.

Excuse the dust on the shelf - the bikes are a nightmare to keep clean.

mk1 - 1/60, f/2.8, iso 125, aperture priority with pop up flash

mk2 - 1/60, f/2.8, iso 125, aperture priority with pop up flash

Cat - tricky as I can't replicate the 'pose' for obvious reasons ;-)

mk1 CROP - 1/60, f/2.8, iso 125, aperture priority with pop up flash

mk2 CROP - 1/60, f/2.8, iso 125, aperture priority with pop up flash

My conclusion - if you can find one and are willing to pay a little more for second hand then I would choose the mk1 - just because it is better built and a LOT easier to use in MF.
    Whichever you choose you will be happy non the less - for the money both are pin sharp where they need to be and pretty quick.

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Re: 50mm mk1 vs mk2

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
    Please note this is my personal opinion only....... also the mk1 is definitely better made.....
    David,

Sorry if this sounds bad, but what credentials or experience do you have to be able to say, "the mk1 is definitely better made"? |This sounds like a statement from Mk. 1 owners that I can read almost anywhere on the net. I have used both versions, and I currently use a Mk. 1, but I find it difficult to differentiate between the two. Just my 'personal' opinion .
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Excuse me? Yes it does sound bad!

Credentials - none! in the making of lenses - I do however have the experience in hand crafting machinery and can 'feel' when something is well made.

Experience - Semi pro working for several magazines and race series, I am a long term photographer mainly for motorsports, but have also covered many other subjects, and NO I am not an expert.

"This sounds like a statement from Mk. 1 owners that I can read almost anywhere on the net" - maybe so many say the same thing because it's true! I have not only tried both, I went out of my way to buy / own both so that I could do an unbiased review based on 'my personal opinion' as I also had read so many other reviews on the net. Use both side by side and the differences are there in plain sight.

If you re-read my review again you will see all the points that point to the mk1 being 'better made'

Oh - and yes - I do find your 'manner' offensive BUT I'm man enough to ignore it and move on!

.DAVID.
      Last edited by David Stallard; 08-12-2011, 08:01.

Comment

wow!

Comment

I appreciated David's quick overview of the two lenses and did not get the impression he was doing anything more technical than give his personal general impressions of the two lenses supported by a few images to show his perceptions of the similarities or differences. I have only used the mk ll lens and often wondered at the additional cost and scarcity of the mk l. Clearly some think the mk1 is worth the cost and hassle of trying to get hold of one - David's overview if anything suggests that the gains from the mk1 lens are fairly superficial and for me the mk ll will continue to meet my needs.

Peter.

Comment

I too like David's overview. I have the mk ii lens & quite happy with it. I like it very much when members give their honest opinions on lenses and cameras and we newbies can take it from there.

Thank you David again for taking the trouble to give your views.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Right, for a start...Bob and David, shake hands and make up! Lifes too short
              Two...looking at the pics, the Mk11 looks a tad sharper, but my eyes are old and knackered
              Three...thanks for taking the time and trouble for supplying the review..interesting stuff

Comment

Really useful post by David and it would be great if members who have the eperience that I yearn for could post comments about some of the gear they use and why they have chosen the gear.
                This forum is a fountain of useful information and I have received so much help here that when I look at my first image posted I think "Oh boy did I take that and have the daring to actually post it"

David
                David

Comment

Ditto! David
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi David, Thanks for posting the comparison between the two lenses interesting reading, I realise it is only your opinion, but I sometimes find normal user opinons very useful. thanks for taking the time to post. Like the bike I have a couple of Carl Fogarty signed Ducaties, they are difficult to keep dust free.

Ray

Comment

I found the octogon shapes in the bokeh irritating, so I paid the extra for a 50 1.4. Has proved to be very good - I am sure that the 1.2 might be better but this is one of the less used lens which I use for street photos.
                      ef-r

Comment

I was going to PM this, but thought it better to be in open-forum.....

David,

Oh Dear, I must apologise if I caused you any offence, it was not my intention

Excuse me? Yes it does sound bad!........Oh - and yes - I do find your 'manner' offensive BUT I'm man enough to ignore it and move on!

.DAVID.
                        In my defence, I have seen many comparisons between the 50mm f/1.8 Mk. I and II and they all reflect your comments. Honestly, you could have copied and pasted from numerous internet sources.

As I stated, I have used both and currently use a Mk. I but I would prefer a 50mm f/1.2 versiion for my needs. I do hope that you will not hold any bad feelings, we are each entitled to our individual opinions.

Bob
                        Bob Turner
                        Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Bob - "no bad feelings". . . . . I am having a voodoo doll made as we speak and have hired a gang of hitmen to come to find you!!

Seriously - no problem, and thank you for posting it up. I am now in the lucky position of being able to use either as one is in my bag and the other is in my wife's - although I have just been promised a 1D mk4 as a thank you for some work I did a while ago so it will be interesting to see how they differ on that body.

"Normal service will be resumed once we are certain what 'normal' really is"

.DAVID.

Comment

Bob - "no bad feelings". . . . . I am having a voodoo doll made as we speak and have hired a gang of hitmen to come to find you!!
                            OUCH!
                            Bob Turner
                            Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                              looking at the pics, the Mk11 looks a tad sharper, but my eyes are old and knackered
                              My eyes are old and knackered as well. Maybe it's just that the picture of the bike with the MkII is slightly brighter, but I agree, the MkII looks MUCH sharper.

Comment

Working...
                              X