50mm mk1 vs mk2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 50mm mk1 vs mk2

Maybe it's just that the picture of the bike with the MkII is slightly brighter, but I agree, the MkII looks MUCH sharper.
    I was thinking the same thing, I was going to post earlier. Now that Bob & David have put their duelling pistols back in thier holsters I feel more comfortable posting.

Looking at the model bike sample pictures the exposure and composition is slighly different.
    When it comes down to testing lenses as optically similar as these two, I think all things should to be equal.

Using the popup flash in ettl ii mode, it can and will determine a different power with a different compostion.
    You could overcome the above by using a tripod and putting the pop up flash into manual mode.

I can't believe anyone thinks the Mk2 is better built - one thing's for sure, you can get great images with either version.

I've had little luck with the cheap 50mm lenses.
    I lost my Mk1 then got a Mk2 which broke (I treated it OK), I now have a 1.4 which has developed a focussing problem.

Trev

Comment

I like the multi colours of the broken lens.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I have the MK2 which from an optics point of view is superb! I would have however wished I could have gotten the MK1 - for the reasons sited by David. Thanks for the post and personal opinion of the two lenses
        regards
        Donald

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
          - although I have just been promised a 1D mk4 as a thank you for some work I did a while ago so it will be interesting to see how they differ on that body.

.DAVID.
          You might prefer the 85 1.8 on the 1D4 - I tried the 50 1.4 abd found it a bit wide - but then I prefer more reach on my lens than the average - on my 5DII my favourite is the 135L - this enables me to stand back a bit from the subject
          ef-r

Comment

Hmmmm I've been doing some sums :-(

£70 mk2
            £110 Mk1
            £260 1.4
            now I'm looking at an £80 bill to fix the 1.4

Thats £520 + hassle, I think in the context of that the 1.2 L looks like pretty good value.
            Hindsight is a wonderful thing. ;-)

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
              now I'm looking at an £80 bill to fix the 1.4
              Worth every penny I reckon!

I've never tried the 1.8 Mk 1 but do own a Mk 2. I thought a prime would be good for my photographical evolution. I loved the 50mm format but could never love that lens (not necessarily blaming the lens, it may well have been me). I just never got any really decent results with it, and on top of that the focussing motor was/is slow and noisy. Times were less hard then and I upgraded to the 1.4 and it has helped me produce some of my favourite images. The price differential is much greater now than when I bought mine though, but all things considered other than on price alone I'd struggle to recommend the 1.8 Mk 2 to anybody.

Comment

Nice One David

Having used the Mk1 for a long time I can concur that the build quality is far better, it is not hard to be better if we are perfectly honest! That aside both lens offer remarkable quality image wise.. The older lens again being better in my view..
                Canon 1DX Canon EOS 1D Mark 1V Canon EOS 7D Mk 11 EOS 5D Canon EF800mm f5.6 IS Canon EF500mm f4 Mark 11 Canon EF400mm f4 IS DO EF300 f2.8 IS Canon EF 200mm f2 IS Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS Canon EF100mm IS F2.8 Canon EF24-70 F2.8 Canon EF16-35 f4 Mk11 Canon EF15mm Fisheye Canon 1.4 tele converter 111 Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

Comment

Few shots attached to the 1d mk4 - more rain than even Noah could deal with today hence inside only

Mischief - 1/800, f/1.8, iso 1600

1/1000, f/2, iso 160. from inside the conservatory through double glass

Crop from above photo

That's it for now - off to swim around the garden

.DAVID.
                  Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to do this David...you didnt have too, but I think it was worth the trouble you went to. I read my post and I think Im entirely wrong! No change there then! With the shots of the model bikes the MK 1 looks slightly sharper, but as you say, its hardly discernable. If the weather is fair on weds. Im off to give my Mkii an airing.!
                    Well done David and thanks for your views.
                    regards-Rob

Comment

Found a couple of early 'frosty' morning shots that I meant to add.

1/2000, f/4.5, iso 200.

1/800, f/4.5, iso 200.

Sorry it's nothing more exciting, just keep forgetting i have it with me - must try harder

.DAVID.
                      Last edited by David Stallard; 27-04-2014, 19:25.
                      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                      X