Warning: Undefined array key 783 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key 783 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key 783 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key 783 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77 Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 The Moon - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Moon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Moon

Well I tried photographing the moon tonight. EOS 350D, Sigma 70-300 (non APO) with Kenko M4 2 x extender. ISO 100, AV f25, TV 1/5. Mirror Lockup, Remote Release. Crop applied and levels in PSE.

Re: The Moon

I've never tried this. I'm surprised you can get so close with a 300mm and extender. Good view you got.

Comment

Nice shot. I tried this a few times last year but wasn't happy with the results. I believe you get greater definition on the moon surface, detailing the craters if you try when there is not a full moon.
      Thanks for sharing.

Constructive criticism and comments greatly appreciated.

Comment

Yep - nice try... I've also tried this a few times, and agree with Steve (above); you DO get better definition when the moon is slightly off-full.

You might also want to try stopping down to say f/8 and ramping up the speed. The moon moves surprisingly fast across the sky (I seem to recall it's something like 2500 miles per hour), so a Tv 1/5 is not going to "freeze" the "action". My guess is that is why the image looks a little on the soft side...

Similar to the "sunny f/16 rule" there is a "moony f/11" rule. A full moon on a clear night has a starting point ISO 100, f/11 and 1/125. Adjust for waxing or waning moon accordingly. FWIW, in my attempts, I have started at f/8 & 1/250.
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Oh and while i remember, using spot metering greatly improves the quality of the shot.

Constructive criticism and comments greatly appreciated.

Comment

Cheers for the comments tips and advice! I saw it and just nipped out and took 5 shots and this was the best! I personally was just amazed what I could see (I know it is a little soft!). I bought the kenko auto 2x converter off ebay for £25 and was a bit unsure whether it would be any good, I havent had the chance to try it in daylight!

Comment

Would like to be able to see the image as I tried and treid 2 years ago and each time was disappointed.

Reading the comments here I will try again, and not take such a long exposure. Well I was thinking the moon is still in the sky!! Stooopid me!

Comment

Working...
              X