Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting out

Hey everyone

I'm new to the forum and the reason i joined i could really do with some advice please.

i have recently purchased a canon 550d I'm looking at doing some filming for a friend of mine who is setting up a blog website for his motorbike racing team, i have already purchased lens's and a flycam to aid with the walking through the pit lanes, I'm stuck with what external microphone to buy and if i need a external audio recorder?

i have looked at a Zoom H1 kit and a Rode VideoMic Shotgun Microphone but I'm unsure if this will work together and what program will i need to sync the video/audio? I'm currently using a MAC OSX.

thanks Sam

Set up for filming at the min:

-Canon 550D
    - CANON EF 50mm f/1.8 MK II LENS
    - Flycam 3000
    When Chuck Norris's daughter lost her virginity Chuck went and got it back!

Re: Starting out

Final Cut Pro is a good video editor, but iMovie will do fine. It is a good idea to edit a few projects in iMovie and upgrade when you have gained a bit of experience.

The Zoom will work fine, but you will have to sync the audio in post. Plugging a mic into the camera will solve that problem, but keep in mind that the 550D has Auto Gain Control, meaning that it will push up the volume when it's quiet around you and compress it when the noise levels get higher.

The 50mm lens is great and will give you a sharp image, but keep in mind that the depth of field is very shallow when the lens is wide open and focusing can be a challenge.
    myTube
    Twitter: @VilliAsgeirsson
    Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Comment

Re: Starting out

cheers for the reply, am i right in thinking that there is a firmware update for the 550d that will enable you to turn off the auto gain?

also is there some form of follow focus for the the 550d also?

cheers sam
      When Chuck Norris's daughter lost her virginity Chuck went and got it back!

Comment

Working...
      X