Forum Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Theme

Is it not possible in this day and age to have the forum display full screen rather than have the 2 bands down the side unused also the pictures would also display larger rather than looking like glorified thumbnails
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Re: Forum Theme

As far as the text is concerned, the forum width is probably too wide at the moment. Research has shown that a line of about 72 characters is ideal. Anything longer makes the eye work harder to move back from the end of one line to find the start of the next line.

With regard to photos, it depends very much on how you upload. The album feature built-in gives relatively small images. Many users embed links, with some images fitting within the forum frame and others extending outside. It would be good if you could click and image to make it fill the screen, as you can with many videos. I'll look into this.

In the meantime, feedback from other users would be welcome.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I would like to be able to read the forum on my iPhone. At the moment I have to use a magnifying glass to see the tabs and then mess around making the print bigger. I know some sites are "optimized" for the iPhone

David
      David

Comment

I would like to see the text width reduced to around 60 chrs, as Robert says above, 72 is usual. I would also like to see the maximum width of images set at around 750 pixels to avoid having to scroll and it is always better to see the full image on the one screen. I realise that others may have there displays set to suit them it's just to fit in with the majority of users.
        Bob Turner
        Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

The current width of text is not a problem for me. I view the site (usually) on a widescreen laptop.

As to picture size, the current general consensus (not a rule) is display at 800 pixels along widest edge... I find this appropriate and again no change required for me. It might be nice to be able to show the picture full screen, but not essential for me.

I don't see anything broken, so happy for it not to be fixed! Just my opinion, others may have other views.

All the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I view on mozilla. Pressing the ctrl and the+ button together makes the forum fill my screen, no grey bands at the side. Makes the text slightly bigger aswell, saves on my eyes.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
              I view on mozilla. Pressing the ctrl and the+ button together makes the forum fill my screen, no grey bands at the side. Makes the text slightly bigger aswell, saves on my eyes.
              But all you are doing is zooming in which is ok but if you go to another website you would have to zoom out. have a look here to see what I mean

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ displays fullscreen on my hd monitor
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Nope, don't have to zoom back out. Don't know why but I don't. Must have got something set on mozilla so that it only does it to the specific page... if I have, don't know how I've done it.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Some forums are set to 'float' instead of a set pixel width, this will let it adjust to suit the screen that the user is viewing.
                  Maybe Robert could set up a mobile theme or even better use Tapatalk for viewing the forum from our mobiles.
                  Alex

Light Over Scotland
                  alex scott Photography

Comment

A more basic 'mobile' theme would be good for me. If this a vBulletin based forum, perhaps we could ask the admin to install the Tapatalk addon for mobile browsing.

By the way, using either of my Android devices, I'm unable to login despite checking cookie settings etc.
                    Last edited by AndyA; 19-01-2012, 19:53. Reason: corrected spelling
                    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I have a widescreen monitor with a 1920 X 1200 resolution. The benefit, to me, of using this size of monitor is the ability to display more than one window at a size that remains perfectly useable. If I have two applications running side by side, a browser and email for example, then the forums require a lot of scrolling. I would much prefer to have the forums auto size to the browser width and for images to be displayed at around 800px wide (or a bit less). The images could then open full uploaded size if clicked upon.

Just my 2p.
                      Regards ,
                      Norman

Comment

I've just noticed that if I hold the <Ctrl> and spin the wheel on my mouse to zoom to 125%, the forum screen fits my screen - Magic!
                        Bob Turner
                        Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

I think TAPATALK compatibility for Smartphones would be very welcome
                          EOS 7D, Canon 24-105 EF , Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM OS, 430EX II , Canon 17-55 2.8

Comment

Working...
                          X