LEE warm up filters and hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEE warm up filters and hoods

I am in the market for a warm up filter and was just wondering if anyone has good experience with their warm up filters and can provide a few suggestions on which ones to purchase.

I don't want to go absolutely over the top with warming the image, but would prefer something a little bit more than subtle. 81b maybe?

Also do any of you own any of the lens hoods for the foundation kit? Will the slotted hoods work with the polariser attached as well?

Thanks

Donavan

Re: LEE warm up filters and hoods

Personally, I don't see much use for warm-up filters these days, when you have much better control using DPP on RAW files for precise custom white-balance adjustments; but that's just my 2 cents worth.

As an aside - if you didn't know - you can also set your white-balance in-camera to cloudy or shade, and that will warm-up your shots as well. That works particularly well for sunset shots.

As for hoods with (circular) polarizers; yes - they will fit, but you may see some slight vignetting at wider angles. If you use a UV or Skylight filter on the front-end, make sure you take that off first before fitting the polarizer.
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Sure you can add warm up filter effects/ adjust WB in Lightroom or photoshop. I'm actually trying to cut back on time spent sitting behind the computer. I also see a future for this filter when I decide to buy one of these new dslr's that shoot movies as well.

OK I need to be more specific with my question about the LEE foundation kit and hood. I have the 105mm heliopan polariser on an adapter ring on the front of the kit. Does the hood still fit with this ring attached?

Comment

Originally posted by Donavan View Post
        OK I need to be more specific with my question about the LEE foundation kit and hood. I have the 105mm heliopan polariser on an adapter ring on the front of the kit. Does the hood still fit with this ring attached?
        Personally, and I'm probably not alone here, I would have thought the quickest way (your original post was 8-10-09) to get an answer to this specific question is to ask and it shall be answered But I could be wrong.

Comment

Why not just set up a custom White Balance?

Assuming you shoot in RAW, modify the white balance to how you want it on your RAW converter and transfer those settings as a custom white balance to your camera.

That way, you have all of your standard WB options, plus any custom ones that you would benefit from.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

I am also interested to know if using a filter will give a different effect than that given by changing white balance and saturation - I suspect it is different as one changes the light enetering the camera and the other changes the electronic data.
            I am thinking of trying a similar filter for that reason - landscapes certainly look better when viewed through my tinted glasses (Specsavers brown tint) rather than clear lenses.

I use Cokin P ND grad and polariser by the way.

Glad I went to Specsavers!
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
            X