Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Not Monthly

Robert and Team
    Can I ask why bi-monthly and not monthly and available in stores like WHSmiths.

Surely being Bi-monthly some articles are old news and most content on products, events etc have been covered at least a month before by the monthly mags like Photo-Plus (which is also for Canon users) etc.

I think you are missing a trick and the mag would appeal to more users if it was monthly.....

Just my thoughts
    All the best
    Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Re: Why Not Monthly

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Robert and Team
    Can I ask why bi-monthly and not monthly and available in stores like WHSmiths.

Surely being Bi-monthly some articles are old news and most content on products, events etc have been covered at least a month before by the monthly mags like Photo-Plus (which is also for Canon users) etc.

EOS magazine is not a news publication. Our aim is to help owners of EOS cameras understand and use the many features of the equipment.

For the latest EOS news, simply sign up to our free e-mail newsletter (see http://www.eos-magazine.com). This will bring you details of new products on the day they launched, tell you about the latest Canon cashback promotions, give links to new firmware upgrades, and much more.

When you buy a magazine on the high street, around half of the cover price goes to the retailer and distributor. Publishers cover this cost by increasing the amount of advertising in their magazines. By selling direct, through subscriptions, EOS magazine is able to devote more of its pages to editorial content.

Incidentally, EOS magazine is published quarterly.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Robert, Thanks for the reply.. understand the reason not to go to shops now, but what about monthly or do you feel it would be difficult to fill the mag with relevant quality editorial on a monthly basis ?
      All the best
      Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Robert, Thanks for the reply.. understand the reason not to go to shops now, but what about monthly or do you feel it would be difficult to fill the mag with relevant quality editorial on a monthly basis ?
        There are plenty of EOS camera features to cover - but would you be willing to pay an annual subscription fee of around £50?
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Another good point, so that would be £4.16 an issue....
          Now most monthly mags are about £3.99 so you would not be a million miles away....

Could be worth considering... You know us canonites can never get enough of a good thing ;-)
          All the best
          Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
            There are plenty of EOS camera features to cover - but would you be willing to pay an annual subscription fee of around £50?
            Personally I would pay that for an annual subscription to receive 12 copies but you'd probably lose the custom of those that wouldn't.
            rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

YES - PROVIDED that I had a reasonable degree of confidence that content was "current"... With the plethora of information sites available today - that's a tough call to get stuff into print in a timely manner!

£50/a is not unrealistic for a 12 issue sub to any decent magazine...
              I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
              Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thinking laterally – You could have a split subscription. Give a seasonal title to the Dec, March, June and Sept issues. You could then sell monthly or seasonal (quarterly) subscriptions for £50 or £20 respectively.
                Dave

Comment

My first thought on £50/a is that it would be difficult to find material to fill it on a monthly basis and so the 12 issues might become thinner than what we know and love. Recent Canon practice would not help if they continue to launch new products in bunches e.g. bodies and lenses.
                  My second thought is that you might overcome this by offering corresponding coverage of other national markets - US, Japan, Australia, Europe etc - hey you could become an fully international product! - Wow!
                  My third thought is that a substantial amount of the content might therefore not interest me and I might end my susbscription.
                  Conclusion - stick with it - I like your mission statement!
                  Gerald

Comment

Or stick to quarterly printed magazines with online monthly "infill" editions in between.
                    Cliff Hobbs
                    Wannabe Architectural Photographer - Always willing to listen and learn

Comment

I would but as mentioned already would worry that the magazine would not have such quality content as it does now due to lack of material and/or production time. Bi-monthly could be a compromise.

Cliff's idea of "online monthly "infill" editions" sounds good to me and could be part of the electronic subscription (presumably increased slightly). Not too big, may be a news update, one equipment review and one technical article. This would stop us canon addicts getting withdrawal symptoms in between full magazine editions :-)
                      Duncan Harris
                      Event-Pictures

Comment

Yeah my idea of digital "fill ins" was just based on the feedback that the biggest cost in producing the mag is printing and distributing it. If you went with a digital version every month that does away with that.

Now what would also be cool is if I see a really cool article in the digital edition I want to print and keep having the facility to order it (I don't have a whizzy bang photo quality printer so being able to request certain articles be printed and mailed to me would be really cool - who knows this could be the future. You read the mag online and anything you want print you order. Saves keeping a bunch of mags full of articles that might not be relevant, helps saves trees and fingers crossed the costs aren't too prohibitive).

I don't know about anyone else but if I really want to study/ take-in something I still find it better to read off a physical piece of paper than the screen.
                        Cliff Hobbs
                        Wannabe Architectural Photographer - Always willing to listen and learn

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff View Post

I don't know about anyone else but if I really want to study/ take-in something I still find it better to read off a physical piece of paper than the screen.
                          Me too. I'd be happy for the "monthly fill in" to be electronic but wouldn't want to lose the printed magazine. I enjoy sitting down with my feet up and a glass of wine reading a magazine (spend far toooooo much time in front of a screen already). Doesn't last long though as usually joined by my 4 month old spaniel sitting on my lap between mag and me then my 6 year old collie decides to get in on the act :-).
                          Duncan Harris
                          Event-Pictures

Comment

I prefer the present 4 issues a year for a quality magazine like the EOS magazine. The monthly e-mails are a good "extra". To produce the magazine on a monthly basis would take up too much time for readers to digest and practice the techniques discussed.

Comment

I assume it's staying as a quarterly then.
                              rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X