Online backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online backup

Been seriously thinking about some off site backup. An online option would seem to be a good option. Been looking at some of the offerings by various companies.

Just wondering if anyone is using an online backup service and what your experience is?

SOS online backup seems to offer speedy file transfer but bit pricey than the norm.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Re: Online backup

I've gone for a local setup with two 4TB drives in Raid 1 configuration connected into my local network. This has worked well and I was thankful for it when the Win7 PC failed as I had already backup the data on to it. I appreciate that it is not the same as an off site backup that would be valuable in the case of a major disaster at home but it doesn't cost me a monthly fee. Wouldn't the remote on line option lock you into a regular outlay that may well increase as you add more data to it?

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Been there, done that... Works well, but gets exceedingly expensive as time goes on, plus there's no g'tee that the vendor won't go belly-up, leaving you high & dry... I use two external drives. One stays permanently attached (unless I'm away) and takes a weekly backup (daily if I'm processing a load), and a second which is stored in a fire-proof safe off site, which takes a full monthly backup. Works for me at minimal cost and I have full control... HTH...
      Cheers;
      Lee
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
      5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
      17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Thanks for comments, cost is a consideration and its likely to rise. Currently have 2 external drives, one a backup of the other. Only concern is there are in same physical location.

Other option is I have garage as separate building where I have access to my network so thinking of a drive that has ethernet port that I can site in there its probably a good compromise.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Just been through the deadly puter crash scenario ,I had two external hard drives ,plus managed to get my 1tb HD out of my old I.mac ,the main problem is both my old externals were usb2 and just had to buy a usb3 case for the i.mac drive ,looks like the others will need upgrading to ,got to really consider one whether I can really be bothered and two does it justify the expense

Comment

I use a time capsule 4Tb drive for "on-line" backup (both my wife's iMac and mine back up to this automatically in the background), I have a 2Tb USB drive permanently attached (again backup is automatic in the background) and I have a 2Tb portable drive which I back up to on a weekly basis, otherwise it's kept in the firesafe at work.

I use Carbon Copy backup software on the Macs.
            Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

I looked at online and in the end I just wasn't happy with service from reviews or costs, so in the end did what most do and have a couple of large drives one gets backed to weekly the other monthly and that works just fine....
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I back up my PC at home periodically. I also use Dropbox (£79 1 TB pa?) which synchronises all the files across to my laptop too. I then back up the DropBox folder from my laptop to an external HDD at work (occasionally). That way I have data on the PC at home, on a external HDD at home, on the DropBox web site, on my laptop and on a external HDD drive at work. That way I sleep at night.
                - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

I also use Dropbox (£79 1 TB pa?)
                  so I presume just your edited, works of art !!
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                    so I presume just your edited, works of art !!
                    It's plenty for me at the moment - but I only got my first DSLR four years ago. If I think a RAW is not worthy I will delete it - I know some keep everything.
                    - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

I've been looking at the AWS Glacier service. You have to roll your own, there are some apps to help, but it seems quite cost effective.
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I personally wouldn`t trust online back ups , I just use two drives and mirror them . Keeping one drive at a relative or good friends house is probably a good shout if they are local enough .

Comment

Thanks for all your comments.

Looks like single bay NAS sited in separate building is way to go as I ready have one physical backup.

Comment

It may be worth considering NOT having back-up drives permanently connnected - if one of the dreaded encryption attacks hits you, your backup will be worthless. I use an external backup drive, but I only connect it when the backup program tells me it is needed AND the computer appears to be running OK.
                            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
                              I personally wouldn`t trust online back ups , I just use two drives and mirror them . Keeping one drive at a relative or good friends house is probably a good shout if they are local enough .
                              Just out of interest, why would you not trust an offline backup solution offered by AWS (Amazon)?
                              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
                              X