Purton hulks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purton hulks

SWMBO and I went to collect some instruments from the calibration place yesterday and on the way back we visited the Purton hulks.

Unsurprisingly these are located at Purton, on the edge of the Severn, adjacent to the Sharpness to Gloucester canal. The vessels were deliberately beached here to reduce erosion of the land, which was threatening the canal.

We were surprised to see a number of concrete hulls (Ferro Concrete Barges) - the ones at Purton were used on inland waterways. Similar vessels played an important part in the D-Day landings.

You can find more information than you were looking for by Googling "Friends of Purton" - a fascinating site.

All in all, a place well worth a diversion off the A38 to see!

FCB by John Liddle, on Flickr

There are plenty of wooden vessels as well......

Ironside by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Purton hulks

Fascinating John, never knew they built "concrete" boats, that wooden one looks rife for some close-up texture shots.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

I agree.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Interesting shots and an interesting story.
        Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Thanks for looking and commenting chaps.

Originally posted by Bill53 View Post
          Fascinating John, never knew they built "concrete" boats, that wooden one looks rife for some close-up texture shots.

Bill.
          I'm afraid I neglected to get any close shots of that particular hulk - this is the best I can offer you.

Rust and decay by John Liddle, on Flickr
          John Liddle

Comment

A very interesting thread....I really like the second shot...great colour and texture.....and noted that you used the M5, I was expecting to see this was from a full frame body and L glass.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian.

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
              .....and noted that you used the M5, I was expecting to see this was from a full frame body and L glass.
              I was also pleased with the results, especially since I was using the 18-150, which is not the sharpest lens in the M-series family (due no doubt to its rather wide focal length range), but which is jolly useful when going walkabout.
              Last edited by John Liddle; 14-04-2019, 09:34. Reason: deletion of extraneous word
              John Liddle

Comment

Working...
              X