heath (blackfox) Robinson strikes again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heath (blackfox) Robinson strikes again

out with Steve the other day looking for the owls ,when a old acquaintance of mine turned up ,he had a novel if complicated set up on his tripod to attach a scope to ,got my brain working in overdrive as we both have lightweight scopes but you need something to attach them to . so developing the idea that I saw I got my box of go-pro spares out and made this up it fits on my gimbal head nicely and using some bolts from my odds and sods boxes fits nice and tight with no flexing .
    the only thing I haven't got round is up and down movement but I'll find a way need something along the lines of a mini ball head that we had back in the 60's yet to try it in the field hopefully it will work fine
    Attached Files

Re: heath (blackfox) Robinson strikes again

Very creative Jeff

Tom

Comment

Once I have it working to my liking Tom hopefully I will be able to fit a phone adaptor as well ,butchered a old folding lens hood last night to fit on the front of the scope ,the scope is a celestron which is a good brand and had been reduced to 25% of there original price ,making them a must buy

Comment

Cool, mine has a mount built in for a ballhead, but its fixed as well

but as you say its fixed, can you not put the clamp on the swinging arm and scope on the other side?
        Last edited by TonyT; 04-12-2017, 02:57.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thinking on this, If your using arca swiss Jeff, can you not get a long plate and mount that to the arm of the gimbal with a clamp, then mount the scope onto that? you can pick up really cheap plates off evilbay.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
            Thinking on this, If your using arca swiss Jeff, can you not get a long plate and mount that to the arm of the gimbal with a clamp, then mount the scope onto that? you can pick up really cheap plates off evilbay.
            there are various alternatives Tony that I mulled over ,i.e use a go pro adaptor and mount the scope on the flash mount of the camera makes it to high ,extending to the right of the area plate I can't see a feasible way ,this one at best is lightweight i.e a couple of ounces ,strong plastic ,that gives a little for knocks ,I obviously have left and right movement with the gimbal just need another fitting in line to allow up and down movement I think a ball head will make it to heavy .the idea is to have a lightweight adjustable mount that can take a scope, go-pro,and /or I/phone .

Comment

Jeff, if your lens has a arca plate on it for mounting, most of them have a couple of holes to mount a flash bracket, could you not fit one of those and mount the scope above the camera or off to one side, also if the lens is attached to the gimbal can you not mount it to the camera tripod mount instead. something like this (just using the site as an example of what i mean in images.)

second one they do a ballhead for about £20

I would always be wary of mounting anything on the flash mount on the camera as a knock at a foot or so along the length is an awful lot of twisting motion at the mounting point.
              Last edited by TonyT; 04-12-2017, 12:27.

Comment

I see Tony but neither of those would give me any better than what I have now ,the scope as attached swivels with the gimbal left to right its just up and down adjustment thats needed and I spotted a little i.phone gizmo today in the pound shop that has a micro ball and socket head so I may well get one and have a play around later ,only got 99p at the moment though LOL

Comment

Well if you get stuck I might have the odd bit floating around I do not use.

Comment

What you could do with is something like this mounted vertically so you can clamp and remove the scope, not suggesting this

But you could do something similar with a roller bearing, a couple of washers and long bolt with a wing nut on it to tighnten it up and a clamp

But I get the feeling you are trying to build something like this?

Last edited by TonyT; 04-12-2017, 16:37.

Comment

I've followed this with interest but I confess to not really seeing what problem it's solving? Or what it allows you to do?
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I'm waiting till drawings appear for a flux capacitor. [emoji4]

Di.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                          I've followed this with interest but I confess to not really seeing what problem it's solving? Or what it allows you to do?
                          as per the first post Andy it allows me to have a scope attached to the gimbal head that will outrange the camera and lens ,sometimes its good to know that the raptor your seeking is sat on a post waiting to fly off .,probably a localised problem with the miles of estuary marsh around here ,saves carrying a extra tripod for the scope .I have solved everything bar up and down movement of the scope but that should be solved shortly .and will eventually lead to a chance to digi=scope long range birds ,fingers crossed

di they had doubts on what could be done when I worked on 2001 a space odyssey ,but a few lads thinking outside the box made it all seem real

Comment

Right. I knew about the scope from the first post but not why you’d want to do that. Makes sense now.
                            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                              as per the first post Andy it allows me to have a scope attached to the gimbal head that will outrange the camera and lens ,sometimes its good to know that the raptor your seeking is sat on a post waiting to fly off .,probably a localised problem with the miles of estuary marsh around here ,saves carrying a extra tripod for the scope .I have solved everything bar up and down movement of the scope but that should be solved shortly .and will eventually lead to a chance to digi=scope long range birds ,fingers crossed

di they had doubts on what could be done when I worked on 2001 a space odyssey ,but a few lads thinking outside the box made it all seem real
                              I get what you're doing now. I've seen photographers at the local rspb with scopes and cameras you're putting it all together. [emoji106]

Di.
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X