Lens prices....how much!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens prices....how much!!!

I'm sure most members will have noticed the recent price hike in the last 12 months....I don't think I'd have even begin using full frame if the prices had been like this in 2015.

e.g. 50mm f1.2L now nearly £1350 was £950 just 18 months ago..... and since the II versions of some of the L series have appeared a further hike has been levied

I think this is having an impact of fewer posts in the equipment sections of the forum and cant be good for newcomers to photography.

Any comments ...is there light at the end of the tunnel...is this true of other manufacturers I wonder?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Lens prices....how much!!!

Strangely, these price hikes haven't happened in other countries, just the UK.

That nice Mr Farage promised that Brexit wouldn't affect the value of Stirling, so it can't be that can it?
    Colin

Comment

Just normal rip off Britain; though Colin ,as you may have read I have been mulling over going to mirrorless and the price difference between u.k dealers and grey and semi grey dealers runs into around a 50% or more price difference .it can’t be just put down to the fall of the pound .

A lot of British traders won’t move with the times either we were after a cooker spare last week and the shop we went into didn’t stock them ,so my reply no worry I’ll get it online ,only to then be given a tirade about supporting your local shops . That’s one shop on my don’t bother again list

Comment

I'm not sure where you've taken your figures from and there can be large fluctuations in a short space of time due to all sorts of things. I would have thought a better indicator would average prices over a year, which Camerapricebuster shows a graph of. Here is the link for the 50mm f1.2L and that indicates a slight downward trend in the past 12 months. Of course, it only takes one ridiculously low price for a short length of time to skew the average!
        https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/...0mm-f1.2L-Lens

Obviously, special offers & "spot" prices can vary significantly. For instance, the 100-400L mk2 was £1449 at Jessops on 3rd Jan, now they have it at £2049!

So in short, no, no idea I don't think it can just be down to exchange-rate changes - the differences are too marked. The thing to do if there's something you want is obviously just to keep an eye out for the special offers.
        Last edited by ctrollen; 05-03-2018, 09:44.
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I don't think there's a single simple answer. Part of the problem is to ensure you are comparing apples with apples with regard to take account of the different tax rates.

It may be that retailers costs have risen to the extent that they would have already been looking to a price hike and coupled with the exchange rates have tacked this on to create a stable future price point.

It might be worth looking at EU prices to see if they are markedly different to the UK as for regulatory reasons they are probably more comparable to the UK than the Far East or US

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

It's why I usually buy pre-owned

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Half of my lenses are pre-owned too.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

It's partly down to lack of competition, price fixing between manufacturers and dealers so that both make big profit margins. No competition always means high prices.

With specific reference to Canon, there seem to be a lot of people who automatically buy the L lenses on the basis that they must be the best. That means Canon can keep the prices high because there will always be enough people willing (and able) to pay those prices, just because of the "L" label. I read detailed independent comparative reviews and if the Sigma (or any other) is as good at a much lower price, then that's what I get.

Over the past year I've bought the 200d and three lenses, buying grey has saved me £967 total compared to UK prices. My latest is the Canon EF-S 35 mm macro, £220 as opposed to £369 here, the choice for me was to get it grey or not get it at all, no way could I justify the £369.
                EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

That's a very cheap price for that lens. I had a look at B&H and their untaxed price is 349 USD or about £260 this compares to a net UK price of about £290 so comparing bricks and mortar retailers is within about 10% not so far apart IMO.

The price you paid for your lens is very cheap. I'm guessing you imported it directly from the Far East so am presuming it hasn't had the VAT paid on it nor will the retailer be subject to the other UK taxes and overheads.

It would be impossible for Canon Japan to set a worldwide selling price due to the wide variations in the markets they operate in.

You allude to excessive profits but what sort of profit margin should a UK retailer make in your view ?

I would suggest that there is sufficient competition with the options of other brands available. If those lenses are of lesser quality would that not support the higher price charged by Canon ?

Ultimately the customer will decide. Most camera gear is a discretionary purchase and if the price is too high won't be sold

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

If I go to different supermarkets and compare the price of branded goods I find that they aren't the same everywhere but vary from shop to shop. Look at the price of photographic equipment and the price is identical at every UK retailer. That's because the "approved distributors" fix the price and will not supply to any retailer who offers the items at a lower price. I can't see how that isn't retail price maintenance which was made illegal in the UK in the 1960s and also by EU law. That's what I mean by competition, every retailer being able to choose the profit margin that they are willing to take, going for larger numbers at a smaller profit each or smaller numbers at a larger margin on each. If some go out of business, so be it, the vast majority of small camera retailers closed years ago anyway, all three in my town, because most of their "bread and butter" income came from the developing and printing business, "death by digital".

So long as price fixing is in place, some people will always buy grey, which does not mean that taxes haven't been paid, but that the sellers have sourced their products from markets where the wholesale price to them is a lot lower, and they work to much smaller margins. Of course, one loses out on manufacturer's guarantee but that's a calculated risk we take. In any case, the reason UK, EU and US distributors give for their higher prices is that they invest more in service centres etc. I don't use them and so I don't see why I should pay for them. Choice, choice, choice is what we need.

If those lenses are of lesser quality would that not support the higher price charged by Canon ?
                    But they are not "of lower quality". In many cases, professional independent unbiased tests show that the latest from Sigma, in particular, are usually as good as, and often better than, the Canon (or Nikon) equivalents. But some people don't want to believe it, they can't accept that their £1,600 L lens is no better than the £1,000 equivalent from Sigma or Tamron.
                    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I agree...there must be price fixing within retailers. As you say Richard you take a risk by going with an independent or grey market seller. Failed products are pretty rare so if you stick with grey market you will most likely be in profit overall.
                      I'm cautious about Tamron and Sigma only because the lens is not just an optic anymore - its full of electronics and there is no insurance regarding long term compatibility with Camera manufacturers....we've already seen how Canon tried to stop us using third party batteries....will they do that with lenses some day?
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I agree with most of the comments on that article, the guy claims to be a "professional" - doesn't seem to know what he is doing.

Read the reviews on Lens Rentals blog https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/

They do not test lenses "provided for reviews" They test the ones that they are lending to their customers (they lend thousands of bodies, lenses and other equipment every week) and they always test at least 10 examples of each lens and include the range of variation they find in their reports. Of course, they also get loads of feedback from their professional customers. They don't have any bias to one maker or another, they just want to supply the kit that their customers want.That's the type of information I trust. In general, however, other sites such as
                        Best digital cameras and lens reviews. If you are looking for the information about digital cameras and lenses you are in a right place. We have many professional tests of digital photography equipment.

and

all come up with very similar opinions on each lens.

On one of their reviews Lens Rentals says : "Sigma has been pricing the Art series lens about 15-20% less than what you’d find with Canon prices, and absolutely destroying them when it comes to sharpness." Other sites agree.

This is not to say that Canon doesn't make some stellar lenses, for example if you have the money and need a 70 - 200 or 16 - 35 f2.8 zoom, then the latest versions of the L models are undoubtedly best in class. I just wish people would have an open mind and go by detailed evidence rather than assuming that Canon are always best, or rejecting something on the basis of one article.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                          If I go to different supermarkets and compare the price of branded goods I find that they aren't the same everywhere but vary from shop to shop. Look at the price of photographic equipment and the price is identical at every UK retailer. That's because the "approved distributors" fix the price and will not supply to any retailer who offers the items at a lower price. I can't see how that isn't retail price maintenance which was made illegal in the UK in the 1960s and also by EU law. That's what I mean by competition, every retailer being able to choose the profit margin that they are willing to take, going for larger numbers at a smaller profit each or smaller numbers at a larger margin on each. If some go out of business, so be it, the vast majority of small camera retailers closed years ago anyway, all three in my town, because most of their "bread and butter" income came from the developing and printing business, "death by digital".

So long as price fixing is in place, some people will always buy grey, which does not mean that taxes haven't been paid, but that the sellers have sourced their products from markets where the wholesale price to them is a lot lower, and they work to much smaller margins. Of course, one loses out on manufacturer's guarantee but that's a calculated risk we take. In any case, the reason UK, EU and US distributors give for their higher prices is that they invest more in service centres etc. I don't use them and so I don't see why I should pay for them. Choice, choice, choice is what we need.

But they are not "of lower quality". In many cases, professional independent unbiased tests show that the latest from Sigma, in particular, are usually as good as, and often better than, the Canon (or Nikon) equivalents. But some people don't want to believe it, they can't accept that their £1,600 L lens is no better than the £1,000 equivalent from Sigma or Tamron.
                          I understand that grey doesn't always mean untaxed but where the price difference is so high that concern must remain ?

I wasn't necessarily implying that independent brands were inferior to Canon but that might be a potential explanation for a price differential. This may be down to the success of Canon's marketing or that the Canon product offers benefits in the purchasers perception. A possible analogy might be cars from the VAG group.

With regard to price fixing your lens runs from £349 to £379 according to camerapricebuster so there doesn't appear to be a fixed UK selling price. There might be a price below which Canon UK will not sell the lens to a retailer is that price fixing ? Might I suggest a possible reason why there is a cluster of similar prices from UK retailers is that they monitor each other's prices and don't want to be undercut ?

Ultimately though Canon are a business whose aim is to maximise their profits

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Comment

When canon can match the price ,quality and after sales o; there lenses then they will attract more normal people ,take my sigma sport ,35 months old ,and used virtually daily ,I suspected something wasn’t quite right and sent it to sigma u.k to be checked they did indeed find a fault and sent it back to Japan .it took 4 weeks and came back for all intents and purposes like a totally brand new lens . And all under warranty
                            This is the sort of service that makes sigma art lenses a must buy

Comment

I understand that grey doesn't always mean untaxed but where the price difference is so high that concern must remain ?
                              If it were a matter of not paying the tax then I would expect the savings by buying grey to be pretty much the same across the board, but they are not, they vary widely from brand to brand and from item to item. As an example, a lens I have often looked at with interest is the Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art, which has been available at a pretty much unchanged price here of £571 for a long time. I thought I could get it much cheaper grey, but in fact the lowest grey price I have found is £549.99, hardly any saving, and that is from the same seller that I bought the Canon 35 mm macro from, at the much reduced price already discussed. In fact the Sigma is presently available from reputable dealer Mifsuds in the UK for £548, lower than the grey price.

In general, there are much bigger savings to be made by buying Canon grey than for Sigma. I conclude that this is because there is much more regional price variation in Canon. This is consistent with Canon's structure, where Canon inc Japan makes the products and sells them on to the largely independent regional distributors (e.g. Canon UK) who are then free to decide what price they will charge to retailers. Asian distributors appear to charge their retailers much lower prices than Canon UK or US for example and that is where the grey importers buy their stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X