Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Error: "503 Service Temporarily Unavailable"

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
    Robert, is there any way of monitoring which servers were operational, can you see which server my mesage was directed to, what the traffic was on the site, at 15:45 this afternoon??
    David
    I have sent you the log file for 15:45 by e-mail - it is far to long to post here.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Im getting 503 as well now and never had a problem in the past, and I've not changed anything at this end - weird

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
        I think weird is the operative word as I am posting images now without any problem whatsoever. It must be something to do with the server being used at the time or traffic although I see some members have had the problem in the early hours of the morning UK time so traffic may be a red herring.

David
        Hi David, this is exactly what's happening; although it maybe early hours here, in the UK, a lot of things like search bots for Google and Bing set their times to do the scan through the site at 2am or thereabout which can cause a mass influx in usage and causes a 503 error for those trying to post at those times. which basically means the server can't give an IP address to the users connection as they're all full, and as (I'm pretty sure) the forum puts another connection aside when grabbing info from an external host it's all these extra connections that forces the 503 error on occasions.

I wonder what bots are doing a lot of scanning of the site.
        Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigav View Post
          Hi David, this is exactly what's happening; although it maybe early hours here, in the UK, a lot of things like search bots for Google and Bing set their times to do the scan through the site at 2am or thereabout which can cause a mass influx in usage and causes a 503 error for those trying to post at those times. which basically means the server can't give an IP address to the users connection as they're all full, and as (I'm pretty sure) the forum puts another connection aside when grabbing info from an external host it's all these extra connections that forces the 503 error on occasions.

I've just placed a small file on the forum server which is supposed to block search engines. I'm not sure if I have got it right, or if it will work, but worth a try. Let me know if the 503 errors continue (I rarely see them so can't check).
          Robert
          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I've seen no reports of 503 errors since I placed a file on the forum server to block search engines. Has anyone had a 503 error since Sunday morning?
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Robert - I haven't seen a 503 for quite a while (weeks). So you may have found the cure ... well done ... I know how hard these things are to track down and solve.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                I've seen no reports of 503 errors since I placed a file on the forum server to block search engines. Has anyone had a 503 error since Sunday morning?
                I've also noticed that the number of unregistered (guests) users has dropped by an average of 100 every time I've logged in lately, this hopefully is due to the block of the many bots that were using up resources of the server.

Hope the block keeps the 503 errors away for everyone!
                Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigav View Post
                  I've also noticed that the number of unregistered (guests) users has dropped by an average of 100 every time I've logged in lately, this hopefully is due to the block of the many bots that were using up resources of the server.

Hope the block keeps the 503 errors away for everyone!
                  Yes, the total (members and guests) online used to be around ten times the number of members online. I've just checked and it is only five times at the moment.

The most users ever online was 1052 last Saturday afternoon. If half of these were bots, it might explain the 503 issue.

I have also noticed a fall in spammers registering and being rejected as I moderate the applications.

The bot-blocking file has only been in place for a couple of days, so too early to draw definite conclusions, but it is certainly having some effect.

Thanks kiwigav for your earlier comment that it might be search bots causing the problem.
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Never a problem. When I've got a bit more time I'll drop you a line about spam-o-matic, I use it on my sites and it cuts down spam to almost nothing. It looks at the IP addresses from known spammers and stops them registering, in the year or so I've had installed it's blocked about 30,000 fake accounts!

Hope to hear from other users if the 503 problem has stopped for them too.

Comment

Robert

Posted this morning using Firefox and didn't get an error. Just tried to post again this afternoon and got the usual javascript void error that I have had before in Firefox but then posted the photo using Chrome and again no 503 error so it looks like that may be sorted.
                      --
                      Colin
                      http://fotos-espana.com
                      http://macameraclub.com
                      http://turnspain.com

Comment

It's back :-(

Firefox 16.0.2 on Windows 7SP1 (All updates applied).

Comment

Sure is back!!! Was fine yesterday
                          Canon 600d
                          Canon Ef 24-105mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM,
                          Speedlight 430 EX II, B+W 110 10 stop Screw in ND

Comment

extremely weird

I just posted a new thread with some pictures and no issue, however posting pictures in my existing landscape thread gives me error??????
                            Canon 600d
                            Canon Ef 24-105mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM,
                            Speedlight 430 EX II, B+W 110 10 stop Screw in ND

Comment

I wonder if it is anything to do with the level of spammer activity at the moment. I've just deleted 90% of the registration requests received this morning - and these are spammers who get through our Q&A security barrier. There are probably many more accessing the site but not getting through.
                              Robert
                              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Can't post at the moment, says unavailable?
                                Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Working...
                                X