What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do?

I thought I'd fly this past the members before I do anything "foolish". As members are aware, I have always been weight conscious due to advancing years and health issues. Despite all this I am still very interested in wildlife photography but limited at the moment as I don't have a long enough lens to do what I want. I do not wish to exceed approx 1200 grams in weight and to this end I have now thought of getting a 7D mk2 for use with my 55-250mm lens plus the 1.4 TC made by Kenko for this lens. This would give me a reach of 560mm. The other alternative is for me to get a 300mm f4 IS lens and use with my 100D along with the 1.4TC which I already have got. The lens alternative would give me 672mm plus a longer shelf life of the lens as opposed to a camera body. The 7D alternative is somewhat lighter than the lens alternative.

Do let me know what you think and thank you very much for reading this.

Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: What should I do?

Nat, if I had to make that choice I would go for the 300L option, particularly as that's what Stan used for a long time and I believe Dee still does.

I'd not be considering the 55-250 plus Kenko simply because it smacks of a poor solution. Good though the 7D2 and 55-250 are, the kenko name in there just rings too many alarm bells for me :-(
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

looking at the quality of bridge cameras thats the route I would go, forget lenses go for single camera that will zoom from 20-600

I know one day when I get fed up lumping a backpack around I will buy a bridge and will all go for the G25 ;o) .. or whatever model it is
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I think Ian has offered s good solution there....smaller sensors in bridge cameras are much better than they used to be....why not try one and keep the DSLR for all but wildlife....
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Ahem, I think you may find another thread where Nat expounds some views on bridge cameras...
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Nat, I think you should consider the Canon 400mm F5.6L, weighs in at just 1250g, well respected for it's very good IQ and best of all, I just happen to have one for sale!!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
              Nat, I think you should consider the Canon 400mm F5.6L, weighs in at just 1250g, well respected for it's very good IQ and best of all, I just happen to have one for sale!!!

Regards Paul
              lol...
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks folks for all your very good advice. My views on bridge cameras have been mentioned under another thread. I am really looking for camera + lens that would enable me to take wildlife pics and my problem with the superzooms is mainly the shutter lag and some loss in IQ. I might also mention that my son has got a (rival brand) super zoom and I recently tried it out in trying to take a pic of a black rabbit in a field close to his house and I lost it when I was trying to take some pictures due to the shutter lag. It hopped out of the frame very quickly. Ironically, I have been telling my son to get rid of his superzoom and get a proper DSLR.

I might also mention that I am not selling my 100D at all as it is very convenient for me when I wish to be "invisible"!!!!!!-camera wise!

I have also thought of the 400mm lens but it's lack of IS is against it, for me. Otherwise I would have gone for it. So my only options are the 7D mk2 or a Canon 300mm f4L IS USM lens- a lens I owned before, and sold it in a hurry due to a shoulder pain I developed by carrying a rather loaded camera bag when I travelled abroad.
                Last edited by Nathaniel; 02-10-2015, 15:15.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

It's a fair point about the IS Nat and one I thought about when I purchased the Lens, however, I came to the conclusion that the subjects I was interested in, ie Wildlife and Aeroplanes, I was always going to be at too fast a shooting speed for the ISO to be used anyway, and that's how it proved to be as far as I recall.

Regards Paul

Comment

55-250mm lens plus the 1.4 TC made by Kenko for this lens. This would give me a reach of 560mm. The other alternative is for me to get a 300mm f4 IS lens and use with my 100D along with the 1.4TC which I already have got. The lens alternative would give me 672mm
                    I don't really think it works like that Nat. A 1.4 converter on a 300mm lens gives you an effective 420mm. Yes on a crop sensor you notionally have a 1.6 enlargement factor giving 672, but (and I might be talking through my hat here) what is really happening is that the resultant image appears larger on the smaller sensor, but in reality is no different from a shot taken with your 6D & cropped by a factor of 1.6. So do you need to buy a 7D2?
                    Russell
                    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Thanks Paul and Russell.

Comment

As far as the 400mm f5.6 lack of IS is concerned I don't think this is an issue for most wildlife where a fast shutter speed is a must to freeze movement. I owned this lens for some years and didn't miss IS, now I have the Sigma 150-600mm Sport I still don't use the IS, especially since I tried it a few times and got inferior results.

David
                        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

Nat the 55-250 will NOT work with a t.c ,you need a prime .the simple way to check it out is take your present set up to Cambrian cameras and try one out ,the 7D2 is also IMHO far to complicated for you .

Comment

Thanks Paul,David and Jeff for your comments. I agree that one doesn't need IS when using a fast shutter speed, which I do so with my present 70-200mm non IS lens. However, there are,frequently, birds that are stationary but at a distance and I find that the IS is important for me. As for the 7D mk2 being too comlicated for me, it depends on how much you wish to use the "complicated" facilities on the camera. I have been told that the 7D mk2 with the 55-250mm plus TC will autofocus, which is something I will certainly try out at Cambrian Cameras or in Chester.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                              Nat the 55-250 will NOT work with a t.c ,you need a prime.
                              Just to be absolutely clear on this last point, you do not need to use a prime to make use of a TC. Either that or my use of my 1.4 mk II with my 70-200 and 150-600 must have happened in dream

Comment

Working...
                              X