New body confession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New body confession

So, Dave S isn't the only one with a new body round here. I made a purchase a couple of weeks back and hence have been a bit quiet. Now it isn't a Canon so I'd best get that out there straightaway and it's not Nikon either so relax :).

It is mirrorless and it's full-frame and has in-body stabilization and with the addition of the right adaptor it can take lenses from many different manufacturers. So what is it then - some of you will have guessed already but it is the Sony AR7 MKII, which I have also equipped with the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm as a walkabout and the Metabones EF-to-E mount adapter so I can use my EF lenses.

Of course as soon as it arrived the weather turned pretty useless at the weekends but I managed to grab a few shots before the rugby on Saturday and then a few more on Sunday that have left me feeling pretty happy with my decision. It is a bit of a journey of rediscovery.

I'll still keep an eye on things here but as it's an EOS forum I obviously won't be posting images for a while - until the 5DMKII gets some action again.

Cheers
    Scott
    Scott

500px flickr

Re: New body confession

I've seen photos with the AR7 MKII and its stunning - A FB friend moved from a 5DMkiii to it and he says its the best thing he's done and looking at his results I'd agree - if your interested I can send you his FB details via PM as he's very helpful and a stunning snapper :O)

Enjoy the new toy .....looking at it others may follow, well thats until the 5Dx come out :O)
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Ian. I've got a few images up on flickr already, nothing special just a walk around the town but I managed to process them a lot quicker than images from the 5DMKII (am I damned to always own a MKII?) and I think a lot of that would be down to the dynamic range of the sensor. For example with the 5DMKII if I didn't use an ND filter in capturing the image I would certainly almost alway have to apply one in LR at PP stage. Non of the images I've taken so far have felt the need for this - but of course it's Autumn (with lower sun) so that could have something to do with it as well :)

I had been thinking I would wait for the 5DX/IV/whatever over the 5DS/R but it still seems to be mainly rumour and, after the Carros de Foc hike, I wanted something lighter and mirrorless was a good way to try for that.

Yes please PM me your mates FB details - and yours for that matter. I don't live on FB but I can certainly see it is very useful in following other photographers.
      Scott

500px flickr

Comment

you'll soon see why I like his work - PM sent

I'm sure once you get to grips with the Sony you'll love it and the 5D will become an expensive paperweight :O)
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Well Scott I have to admit to being somewhat jealous. On a days tutoring shoot recently one of the guys has the same camera. He moved from 5Diii and loves the smaller Sony. It looks a really well put together piece of sexiness I must say.

Even though I've only owned my 7D2 for a few months a part of me is being drawn to mirrorless, the Sony in particular.

Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing your work on Flickr as usual
          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Nice one scott I'll keep checking out your images in Flickr ,looking forward to seeing your next hiking trip using the new set up

Comment

This might be of interest to you

Sony's rollout of uncompressed 14-bit RAW continues: the company announced today that it will be releasing a new firmware update for the Sony a7 II on
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                Well Scott I have to admit to being somewhat jealous. On a days tutoring shoot recently one of the guys has the same camera. He moved from 5Diii and loves the smaller Sony. It looks a really well put together piece of sexiness I must say.

Even though I've only owned my 7D2 for a few months a part of me is being drawn to mirrorless, the Sony in particular.

Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing your work on Flickr as usual
                Thanks Alan. It is definitely an interesting time for digital imaging and mirror less seems to be where some of the newer ideas are coming from just now.
                Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Cheers Dave, will still be checking out this forum as well.
                  Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                    Thanks Ant. That article is for the A7II, the A7RII received the update last month. For anyone interested the raw file size doubles if you select uncompressed raw. Most of the sensible articles I've read say the compressed raw is absolutely necessary not an issue.
                    Scott

500px flickr

Comment

I too have the 42 megapixel Sony A7R2 - I use the cheaper Fotodiox adapter which also works exceedingly well with Canon lenses. My walk about combo is the Sony with a Zeiss Batis 25mm, Zeiss Batis 85mm & a Sony Zeiss 35mm. I do nearly all my landscape, architecture and street stuff with the Sony and anything moving quickly such as wildlife with a Canon 7 D Mk2. Hence why I have started only posting wildlife stuff on here and no landscape work
                      James
                      James Boardman Woodend
                      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Good to hear James. I'll look forward to seeing your landscapes with the Zeiss Batis lenses whch look amazing..
                        Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X