Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help.

Just got on here & this is my second post already. Put my EF 75-300, 1:4-5.6 lens onto my 700D to capture a true Scottish misty morning, zoomed in to the trees I wanted to capture. On looking at the photo discovered a very wee beastie in the picture, this disappeared for the next picture, only to be replaced by 2 dots top middle of the photo. Tried a different lens, still the same, so presume mark is within the body. Do I need to take to a camera shop ( nearest major town 35 miles away)? Or can I clean inside the body?

Re: Help.

Hi Daisy I am no expert but I hope some one can help you out.

Comment

Could be dust on the sensor?
      Have you tried a blower brush.
      As a test if you take a shot of the clear sky or bright clear background hopefully any dust spots will show up in the picture.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Hmm not sure about this but no doubt others will have an opinion.

For what it's worth sensors can attract dust but they're generally only visible against a constant colour when shot at a small aperture - they don't move around! Best guess is that there is something loose inside and possibly - and I'm not suggesting you do this without someone else saying it's OK (then they'd get the blame) - taking the lens off, pointing the camera downwards and operating the shutter a few times may clear it. A gentle blow from a cleaner puffer may help but don't poke anything inside. Best advice, really, is take it to a camera shop.

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Set the camera to sensor clean (hidden somewhere in the menus...) That will lock the mirror up. Switch the camera off, take the lens off and try using a rocket blower (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Giottos-GTA...=rocket+blower). Replace the lens! Switch the camera on. That should do it. It is unlikely that your sensor needs any serious cleaning at this stage.

Good luck

Richard
          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

There was this very small mite on the first photo, no idea where that has gone, but I think the two dots are its calling card.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
              There was this very small mite on the first photo, no idea where that has gone, but I think the two dots are its calling card.
              Hope you you get it sorted out, just keep your eye open for the mite.

Comment

If it is a new camera/new purchase I would rather get the shop to sort this out. I know that some members are experts in cleaning their camera sensors but as you rather new to the Canon world, it would be much safer to get the shop to sort this out. It looks like some sort of dust on the sensor.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Have you left your camera open I.e with no lens cap or lens fitted ,is it new or s/hand .as with the others remove lens ,open sensor in clean manually ,hold camera upside down ,and blow out with a puffer .switch off and replace lens straight away .
                  I also note your in Scotland could it possibly be that you have either left your camera open to long while changing lenses and allowed one of the famous Scottish midges access .
                  Another possibility is if your using or keeping your camera in a old film camera bag or near a old film camera or equipment as gelatine bugs/mites tend to thrive around them ,one particular lens I bought on e.bay was crawling with mites and had to be put in the freezer overnight to kill them off .

Comment

Thanks for that, I am using an old camera bag & not aware that I have had the body unprotected at ant time. Though we have plenty of midges this year, it is a mite as no wings on the photo I have of it.

Comment

If you can physically see it and it is semi in focus, do you not think it was outside the lens, because even a small insect would look huge on the sensor and just as a Bug shaped shadow?.

Can you not post a picture of it?
                      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

If your using a old film era bag ,I would suggest getting your new stuff out of it asap and dumping the bag ,gelatine mites live off the film that's often left in old cameras and will infest your lenses and camera .trust me the only way to get rid is to freeze them to death ,Google gelatine mites and you will see .i,m also with tony it could be on the exterior of the lens in this case though ,again possibly from that bag ,they will however crawl into the lens through any gaps in zoom mechanisms .

Comment

I buy the old type moth balls via Ebay (not sold in UK shops now) and put them at the bottom of my wardrobe where I leave my photo equipment holdalls, all fully zipped up. Todate I have not had any mites/midges problems at all. Hope this is of some help.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                          X