It's that time again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's that time again!

Not intended as a photo for critique, but merely to show that it is cider (that's hard cider for our American members) time again. I am currently pressing the first of this year's batches and the image shows a lovely flow of juice from some Laxton's Superb apples. It will be some Dabinette (a cider apple) next to add the necessary tannin to the mix.

Pressing engagement by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: It's that time again!

It’s amazing what you can do with a Workmate.

Comment

That's a lovely original cast aluminium framed Workmate too if I'm not mistaken

But to the cider... I'm very envious of your press as I have a few trees as do a number of friends so we decided last year that we'd club together to buy a press that, even if the cider we'd make wasn't top quality (ours apples are all 'eaters' or 'cookers'), it would help preserve the glut we have without so much going to waste. Of course, the year passed far to quickly and we didn't get our press. Maybe next year so, for now, I'll have to make another trip to Bridge Farm for some essential liquid supplies

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Ems & John - thanks for looking.

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
        That's a lovely original cast aluminium framed Workmate too if I'm not mistaken
        Indeed it is John - my late father's.

But to the cider... I'm very envious of your press as I have a few trees as do a number of friends so we decided last year that we'd club together to buy a press that, even if the cider we'd make wasn't top quality (ours apples are all 'eaters' or 'cookers'), it would help preserve the glut we have without so much going to waste. Of course, the year passed far to quickly and we didn't get our press. Maybe next year so, for now, I'll have to make another trip to Bridge Farm for some essential liquid supplies

Cheers,
        John
        You can get them from Machine Mart or Vigo - I would recommend getting the "large" size, the smaller one means loads more actual pressings to do - all work! I would also recommend you spend the money on a scratter (hand operated is fine) - it is so much easier than pounding the apples in a bucket with a length of 3"x3".
        John Liddle

Comment

John - a further thought - it might be worth checking with your local brewing supplies shop - one of the ones in Bristol hires out a scratter and press.
          John Liddle

Comment

Ooh, John I'm jealous at the amount of liquid you are getting out. My brother in law bought a press a couple of years ago and we go through that process whenever we get a decent sized crop (i.e. not this year - it was pathetic ). All I would say to anyone trying it, that as John suggests you do need to break up the apples prior to pressing (I had no idea it was called scratting until I read this thread) they are amazingly resilient little blighters, even with a press. We have got a metal thingy that attaches to an electric drill that fits through the lid of a plastic bucket, which works pretty well, but I'm not sure it meets all the requirements of health and safety...
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
              We have got a metal thingy that attaches to an electric drill that fits through the lid of a plastic bucket, which works pretty well, but I'm not sure it meets all the requirements of health and safety...
              I also bought one of those Alex - bloody useless! The only thing that works is a proper scratter. The hand versions do not produce as fine a pomace as the electric ones (which are like a posh garden shredder - borrowed one once - spent more time unblocking it than producing pomace) but the apples are sufficiently broken up to yield a goodly amount of liquid.

I would recommend this http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/Catalog...rusher-A-91101 (Not cheap, but I cheated and got SWMBO and the kids to get it for me as a Christmas present)
              John Liddle

Comment

I remember going to the cider place in Winscombe & coming out not fit to drive having been allowed to sample their products. Used to buy it by the gallon for parties etc. Good times.

Comment

Working...
                X