Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sigma 150-600, sport vs contemporary- help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sigma 150-600, sport vs contemporary- help needed.

I wonder if the camera used is significant in test reviews. Those I've seen which definitely say the S is noticeably better have used FF, perhaps less difference on crop?? Just another thought.
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
      I wonder if the camera used is significant in test reviews. Those I've seen which definitely say the S is noticeably better have used FF, perhaps less difference on crop?? Just another thought.
      Yes - I wondered about that as well.
      James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

nope it doesnt make a blind bit of difference both mine and stans are used on 1.6 crop cameras ,i have also used mine on 1.3 crop and full frame there is only the normal sensor differential ,theres nothing wrong with the C its just not quiet as good as the sport model .

beware of tests etc a lot were written/posted when the lenses first appeared and while the test results look good i know for a fact that the lenses have not been subject to firmware updates and fine tuning that can be done via the usb hub/dock . if i,m totally honest the first few weeks with my lens i was beginning to wonder if i had made the right move ,once i bit the bullet and started playing with the adjustments via the dock it became apparent how much difference it really made .
        and jim if your up this way before buying your welcome to pop over and have a play with a properly adjusted sport one

i think from reports /feedback that the a/f is slightly better on the sport as well ,as shown below these birds flying low don't exactly hang about ,this was hand held .
        lap of honour by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
        Last edited by the black fox; 25-10-2016, 10:08.

Comment

Thanks for that Jeff ( and your very kind offer) - more to think about - where about in the UK are you situated?
          James

James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I do agree with Jeff about the reviews, when I was looking for a review for when I got the sigma C, I could not find a review from this year at all.

Comment

Most reviews come out when lenses are new, I guess. However, given the ability to change things and get new firmware updates via the USB dock, we can be pretty sure that results will be better now than when reviewed.

The Sport was reviewed in May 2016 by Photozone,de, unfortunately they have yet to review the C version. They tested the S at 50mp which must be a pretty severe test of its resolving power.
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Just been watching some videos on how to use the USB Dock, as I was worried it might be hard. Glad it looks fine to use.

Comment

Just to help you decide be aware that there is a new Tamron 150-600 too. Very new so not aware of any tests yet.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Dave61 View Post
                    Just been watching some videos on how to use the USB Dock, as I was worried it might be hard. Glad it looks fine to use.

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/sigm...ion-tutorials/
                    Really easy, FW updates are just follow prompts. Not tweaked the focus at all but have made adjustments to AF, focus limit and OS.
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                      Just to help you decide be aware that there is a new Tamron 150-600 too. Very new so not aware of any tests yet.
                      I think Jeff tried the Tamron and thought it was slow to focus.

Comment

Yes I did try the new tamron

at the Liverpool photo show ,I was left thinking c,mon hurry up and focus . And Jim I,m near to Chester if you get up this way

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post

at the Liverpool photo show ,I was left thinking c,mon hurry up and focus . And Jim I,m near to Chester if you get up this way
                          Fair enough but until there are some definitive tests its worth reserving judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post

Thanks - a bit too far for me but I very much appreciate the kind offer
                            James

James Boardman Woodend
                            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

What ever one you get, I`d say Wex are great on delivery as just had the usb dock delivered and only put the order in yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave61 View Post
                                What ever one you get, I`d say Wex are great on delivery as just had the usb dock delivered and only put the order in yesterday.
                                Yes - I can agree with that.
                                I often opt for free delivery ( instead of the more expensive next day one) - it often arrives next day anyway.
                                James

James Boardman Woodend
                                www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Working...
                                X