Hoopoe, big lenses and TRIPODS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoopoe, big lenses and TRIPODS

I am quite annoyed today and thought I would post this here so that members can comment one way or another.

I was notifed this morning that there was a rare Hoopoe at the Conwy RSPB site. Quite naturally I rushed out to see it and also to take some photos. I was annoyed to see so many birders,Twitchers and photographers crowding the small hides (two of them from where you could see the bird) and most annoyingly many, with very large lenses including some with the Canon 500mm, had their tripods streched out with no walking space for others to go to the viewing windows. Two ladies tripped and fell and some small children were denied a sight of the bird. I couldn't get a good sight as my view was blocked by all these lenses & tripod legs all over the place. I did not think that this was fair at all. I feel it would be better for only those with hand holding cameras/lenses plus those with binoculars to enter these hides whilst those with long lenses and tripods could still take very good photos from outside the hides.

I have mentioned this to the Conwy RSPB Manager who has asked to write to RSPB HQ. All those who visit these reserves are RSPB members and I also support RSPB by buying their raffle tickets plus selling a few to my friends.

I was very disappointed today and quite annoyed.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Hoopoe, big lenses and TRIPODS

people in hides with tripods always annoy me. More often than not they pull the bench away from the window to set the tripod up and then take up much of the window space and if there is room to sit on the bench, then it is too far away from the window to get comfortable. It is not only big lenses though, some have a tripod even to shoot with a standard zoom, 70-300 and the like when it really is not necessary
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Trouble with that nat is they are probably paid up members as well ,yes it's annoying and one of the reasons I don't chase raritys .ban the use of tripods where does it stop ,I.e you can't use a big lens in here mate it's more than me jobsworth etc ,personally I find people talking loudly in hides and those that can't be assed to stop there kiddies running around as a bigger grievance . So let's ban women with children ,and groups of o.a.p's must be forced to wear mouth mufflers ,or simply find your own private area to search

Comment

Where does selfishness stop?
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Of course there are those birders who moan about photographers, with their clicking shutters and beeping focus confirmation. I never go to popular places. the only hides I go into I rarely see anyone else. Of course, I rarely see any birds there either which is probably why I'm all alone.
          Many gardens do ban tripods, people would set them up and completely block the path. Unfortunately, we live in a world where me, me, me first is a common attitude.
          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Its sad that some people focus on their own 'needs' with no regard for others....we British are rare in that regard but its a fading quality.
            I believe it's illegal in New York to set up a tripod on a pavement for this reason .....not that there are many rare birds to be seen there.

I was reversing into a rare parking space at a local hospital once, having gone slightly passed so i could reverse only to find a 'lady' push in past me front ways into the spot....not that she could complete the manoeuvre because of my already advanced position...but the fact that she had the cheek to do that when it was obvious that I'd already bagged the spot.....such selfishness is too common and its sad.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I use a 500mm but use mine on a monopod, I have a pivot head as opposed to a ball so it can handle the weight, it sits in front of me in a hide, so shouldn't bother anyone else, extending it I can angle it back so it rests against the shelf and back against the bench base I am sitting on underneath me, so it pretty rigid in use, some people use a clamp as well on theirs to secure it to the shelf, I have one but do not use it. the only difference on mine to the one below is I use the standard foot and have the arca clamp on the right and the adjuster on the left, so I do not get them mixed up. I also have a padded collar which helps when carrying it, best thing I ever bought.

Last edited by TonyT; 25-10-2016, 19:41.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

This shoulder pad, they do them for tripods too, excellent item and my shoulder loves it.

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Hi Nat, bit of an age old problem. As a bird watcher for more years than I care to remember its something I've seen many times. Not always cameras but scopes on tripods as well.

Just one of those things I'm afraid. Annoying for locals but not much to be done really. After all they could all have been RSPB members and have a reasonable right to be there.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I am sure that they are all RSPB members but shouldn't they care for the other members as well who would like to take a look? It is like motorists on the road. They have all passed their driving tests and have a right to be on the road; however one can drive selfishly without giving room for another motorist to pass or hog the road causing a traffic jam inconveniencing everyone.

In today's episode, two ladies actually tripped and fell having tripped over the spreadeagled tripod legs. They are also RSPB members and had every right to take a look with their binoculars. What would have happened if one or both of them broke a bone?
                    Last edited by Nathaniel; 25-10-2016, 21:08.

Comment

I think we could compile a list a mile long of people's lack of consideration to others. As to tripping over tripod legs, well playing devils advocate (ie not my view) who is to blame the owner of the tripod or someone not taking care where they are going.

As I said not my view as I'd never be so inconsiderate. Personally I get annoyed by people who talk loudly or when pointing out where a bird is they sick their hands out of the hide, grrrrr.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

who or what really is to blame nat ,the RSPB management for blasting it out on Facebook and twitter ,or whoever saw it first doing the same ,or the ladies who were trying so hard to get a look at the bird that they didn't see the tripod legs .you can't win in this day and age once it goes viral the world and his wife are on there way there,if faced with the same situation i would politely have asked for room to get my shots ,only if then refused would i tend to get aggressive .o.k i know i have a size advantage over you but surely you could have slipped in somewhere .

i don't even charge much protection money these days if you need help .

anyway i,m surprised you went into a hide didn't think you were big enough to see over the ledge

Comment

I don't know whether there is any insurance covering these reserves around the country in case of "accidents"!

I get my information about sightings on the Conwy reserve via volunteers (at the site), who are members of my Cathedral. There are a few who are on a rota at the reserve & I get an e-mail message. If I see it on time, I will make every effort to visit.

Jeff, with all respect to your" size,girth and strength", I don't think you would have squeezed in yesterday to take a picture.

Comment

Never understand why there always has to be 'blame'. Shouldn't people be responsible for their own actions.

Insurance wouldn't be an issue here as it would have to cover actions of visitors. Once than happens there would be a raft of rules.

Comment

[QUOTE=antoeknee;355623]Never understand why there always has to be 'blame'. Shouldn't people be responsible for their own actions.

Accidents can always happen despite people taking full responsibility for their own actions. One cannot cover all eventualities. For example one of the ladies who tripped and fell, trampled my foot, which I wasn't expecting. My left foot is still hurting this morning!!

Comment

Working...
                              X