Post link images from Flickr and Photobucket - also on black and EXIF data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post link images from Flickr and Photobucket - also on black and EXIF data

I have put this in 'new members' as they probably need it most from when they join the forum. If any shots are posted in this thread they will be test shots only, so please do NOT comment on them as images. You can post here any further questions about linking, including test shots.

There seems to be quite a few people having trouble linking from photo hosts such as Flickr and Photobucket, and several have sent me PMs asking about it. I thought it might be useful to detail how to do it. If I have got anything wrong can someone tell me and I'll correct it. Any further question please post them below.

GENERAL POINTS
    Resize a copy of your image and save it. Using 'save for web' in Photoshop is best, but use what you have. If you want EXIF to be available you must save it with EXIF if that is an option. As for size - I normally save at 800 pixels on the long side for landscape mode, and 600 on the long side for portrait mode. But experiment with this. If you try uploading a shot at a certain size try the link first by hitting preview in your new thread. It will show you a) if it worked, and b) what it looks like, size-wise. If you use CS4 'save for web' you can resize it and before saving can hit 'preview' and it will display the shot in a browser window to give you an idea of size.

Although linked shots are not saved on this forum server it's a good idea to keep the size reasonable. I would suggest about 100-300kb. It depends on the shot. If you make it bigger it will take longer to download to a users browser.They will curse you and won't bother looking. Your loss.

Do not delete or move shots on Flickr/Photobucket as the link will be lost, and viewers won't be able to view it.

If you are new to uploading/linking and want to practise then do it in THIS thread - I don't mind, really. You can either do some of the stuff detailed below and use the 'preview' button then cancel it when you are happy you have mastered it, or, you can actually save it if you are having a problem and someone can then see what you have done wrong and help you.

EXIF is the camera data about the shot you are posting. It helps others users to learn about how you took the shot. It also helps more experienced photographers give you advice/assistance if you have asked for it. If you save the shot with the EXIF it should be displayable as I have detailed below, It is optional to include it. Some people don't like to include it. As far as I know there are no possible security problems with including it, but you might want to check this initially to be sure it's OK - I did once see someone's EXIF that appeared to have their phone number in.

LINKING TO PHOTOBUCKET

1. Upload your shot from your computer to Photobucket.
    2. Select the shot
    3. You should see something like this. I have changed my skin colours in Photobucket - yours may be white background. http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...s_ladder_2.jpg
    4. What a pretty shot that was!
    5. The boxes on the left have link data. Copy the IMG code.
    6. Create new thread on this forum
    7. Paste in the link you copied from Photobucket. You don't need to use 'insert image' as the IMG tags are already there in your copy/paste.
    8. Add text and title.
    9. Hit preview to ensure image is being displayed. If it isn't you have done something wrong.
    10. File the new thread.

EXIF WITH PHOTOBUCKET this is optional, but it's useful to others to have the data
    Here is an example http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...s_ladder_2.jpg

1. To include EXIF you need to have saved your shot with EXIF.
    2. The EXIF data (if you saved the shot with it) is displayed on the image page when you select the shot
    3. Copy the link from the address bar then come back to your thread here and hit the 'insert link' button and paste in the link.
    4. You will get some blue highlighted text which will be the web address. Over-type that with the word 'EXIF' or something else meaningful. The example below is just an example, it may not be the right link shown.

5. Save the thread.

LINKING TO FLICKR

1. Upload your shot from your computer to Flickr.
    2. Select the shot in Flickr
    3. Select 'all sizes'
    4. In box #2 under the image you get a URL link. Copy it
    5. Create new thread on this forum
    6. Hit the insert image button

7. Paste in the link you copied from Flickr
    8. Add text and title.
    9. Hit preview to ensure image is being displayed. If it isn't you have done something wrong.
    10. File the new thread.

EXIF WITH FLICKR - this is optional, but it's useful to others to have the data
    Here is an example http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/showthread.php?t=743

1. To include EXIF you need to have saved your shot with EXIF.
    2. When you select the shot in Flickr you should have an option in bottom-right corner called 'more properties' Hit it and you should get a page like this...example of EXIF.
    3. Copy the link from the address bar then come back to your thread here and hit the 'insert link' button and paste in the link.
    4. You will get some blue highlighted text which will be the web address. Over-type that with the word 'EXIF' or something else meaningful.The example below is just an example, it may not be the right link shown.

5. Save the thread.

ON BLACK (you can only do this with Flickr-based shots) On Black is a utility that takes Flickr based shots and displays them in a new window/tab on a black background. Most images look better when viewed without any other page distractions, and the image will have more 'pop' and impact. Here is an example http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/showthread.php?t=743

1. Go here http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php
    2. Drag the bookmarklet for 'on black large' onto your browser address bar (you only need to do this once as it stays there).
    3. View the image you want to see on black in Flickr.
    4. Press the on-black link on your browser tool-bar
    5. It takes whatever Flickr shot you are looking at and sets up the 'on black', for you. It will take you to Big Huge labs and display the shot on black as other users of this forum will see it.
    6. Copy the address on the BHL page showing your shot, NOT the code above your shot, that doesn't work. It's the actual web address at the top of the page you want.
    7. Come back to your thread here and hit the 'insert link' button and paste in the link.
    8. You will get some blue highlighted text which will be the web address. Over-type that with the word 'SEE IT ON BLACK' or something else meaningful. The example below is just an example, it may not be the right link shown.

9. Save the thread.
    Last edited by carregwen; 23-09-2009, 06:40.

Re: Post link images from Flickr and Photobucket - also on black and EXIF data

Hi Rob, thanks for the very detailed "idiots" guide! One thing perhaps worth noting, if you mark your images as not for public viewing, then Big Huge Labs can't display them.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post
      Hi Rob, thanks for the very detailed "idiots" guide!
      Peter
      Sorry! I didn't mean it to sound too simplistic, but I thought some people new to digital photography might also not be very computer skilled.

One thing perhaps worth noting, if you mark your images as not for public viewing, then Big Huge Labs can't display them.
      What option is that in Flickr. I had a look in 'my account/privacy and permissions' but was not sure which option it was. Presumably if you have no public viewing we wouldn't see them when linked to this forum either?

Comment

"idiots" guide
        Tongue in cheek comment from me re the difficulties I was having, your guide is very well thought out and clear - just what I needed!

Under the images in "your photostream" there is an option to allow "anyone can see this photo" which was set to "me only" when I uploaded. I could only view on black after I had changed this option.

Peter

Comment

Under the images in "your photostream" there is an option to allow "anyone can see this photo" which was set to "me only" when I uploaded. I could only view on black after I had changed this option.

Peter
          If you go to your account settings for permissions you can specify all uploaded images will be viewable (or not). I'm not sure what the default is. Presumably the button you mention is to allow viewing of a particular image when they are all excluded? I like Flickr, but it isn't very intuitive.

Comment

Working...
          X