Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of year showcase 2012 – Start Voting

All,

Many more pictures than last year, and some magnificent offerings.

Please click on the links below to view the different categories and then send me your votes.

Due to a change in this years competition, making it a multi-category affair, I have tweaked the rules to make them more interesting and fair, following examples of other competitions. Apologies for not having this sorted before now.

A reminder of the rules …
    1. All registered members of the EOS-magazine-forum may vote, including those who submit entries.
    2. Those who submit entries may NOT vote for their own photo.
    3. To vote please email photo_63@hotmail.co.uk with your real name your forum name and your list of favourites.
    4. Your list of favourites will consist of one choice from each category, in priority order, giving your overall favourite.
    5. Points will be allotted as follows: 8 points to first choice, 7 to second choice, 6 to third choice, 5 to fourth choice and so on...
    6. Voters do not have to vote for all categories.
    7. This showcase is just for fun and by entering or voting you accept to abide by the rules and spirit of this competition, and acknowledge that the decision of the challenge organiser is final.
    8. Photos will be posted during January 2013 for registered users to vote upon.
    9. Votes will be accepted up to the midnight on the 11th January 2013.
    10. Results will be announced the following weekend
    11. The pictures will be removed from the temporary Albums before the end of March 2013.

Please click on the links below to take you to the category albums:

Categories:

Thoughts around the rule change:

It is unusual, and not my first choice, to change the rules after the start of the competition. However, it was done before any votes were placed.

The reason behind the change was to support the principle behind the Category approach. I believe the introduction of categories was to avoid all the accolades going to one or two 'popular' genres.

I have no strong feelings about how we vote but the original idea behind the End Of Year Showcase was to encourage as many people to share their work as possible. Introducing the categories, I felt, re-enforced this in that more people would feel they had a chance to receive votes if they were not competing in, or with, the more popular genres.

Therefore to remain with the original rules may have seen votes still going to a narrow choice of genres.

The change forces voters to at least consider all the categories. I say "forces", but it is actually a pleasure to view the work people have submitted - In my humble opinion.

The change, in an almost contradictory way to my thoughts, does allow for people to limit their votes to say just one choice if they wish.

I wanted to avoid confusion and or controversy and apologise if this, in your view, appears to have been the wrong thing to do.

I did Google other competition rules to see how others approached what we were doing and went with the simplest idea.

I hope, however, that everyone involved supports the change

As votes have already been cast using these amended rules … let's see how it goes. Like last year we can have an After Action Review and implement changes if necessary.

Still confused about how to vote?

Example return:

1st - Picture Title - Category - 8 points
    2nd - Picture Title - Category - 7 points
    3rd - Picture Title - Category - 6 points
    4th - Picture Title - Category - 5 points
    5th - Picture Title - Category - 4 points
    6th - Picture Title - Category - 3 points
    7th - Picture Title - Category - 2 points
    8th - Picture Title - Category - 1 points

Each picture is from a different category
    Last edited by jonesgj; 02-01-2013, 08:09.
    Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
    EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Re: End of year showcase 2012 – Start Voting

Hi Graydon, just had a quick look and it is going to be difficult to pick a winner this year.
    The standard is so very high.
    This is going to be a tough one.
    I have downloaded all the images to a folder on my computer and will look at these over the next 7 days.

Question:
    Do we pick 5 out of all the catagories or 5 out of each catagory?

If anyone is interested in downloading all the images then I have uploaded them all to my server for download.
    right-click (save as) HERE
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Being a total idiot, where do you go to look the the entries??

Comment

Hi Robin,

Click on the Categories in red writing at the bottom of Graydons post, Landscapes, People and Portraits etc.

Regards Paul

Comment

OMG - the standard of shots is quite remarkable! I shouldn't be surprised really, but blimey guys... haven't you done well!

Graydon - whilst you can ease up now for a few days (!), can I say a big 'thank you' for organising this again this year? Splendid job so far, well done sir.

As said above - this could take a while to go through and decide!

All the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
            Hi Robin,

Click on the Categories in red writing at the bottom of Graydons post, Landscapes, People and Portraits etc.

Regards Paul
            OK, ok got it now, give me a chance. Pretty impressive stuff there - I give up - see the 'For Sale' listings. Im just working out which ones are Colins...not difficult really, he is a seasoned pro! lol

Comment

Guys,

I'm tweaking the rules to make more sense....

give me two ticks and hopefully you will see the changes...

Graydon

Comment

Thank you kind sir - makes a lot more sense now.

.DAVID.
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Just click on the categories.
                  Colin

Comment

Phew...

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
                    Thank you kind sir - makes a lot more sense now.

.DAVID.

Comment

Selected and sent in. Great work again in all categories and thank you again Graydon for all the work / time you have put in.

.DAVID.
                      Last edited by David Stallard; 01-01-2013, 21:46.
                      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Guys,

I'm really sorry but the deadline for entries is past. I wish I could bend the rules and include more shots but then:

a) when do I draw the line?
                        b) I believe I have exhausted my personal storage quota on the forum as I had trouble uploading the images until I had deleted all my other Albums.
                        b) what do I tell the good mrs Jones who is now standing at my shoulder (you know what I mean guys)

So this is meant as a polite note for - no more entries please :)

AND

there's always next year :)

Kind regards

Graydon

PS - some of the late entries were really good, so I hope people are not discouraged from entering next year.

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                          OMG - the standard of shots is quite remarkable! I shouldn't be surprised really, but blimey guys... haven't you done well!

Graydon - whilst you can ease up now for a few days (!), can I say a big 'thank you' for organising this again this year? Splendid job so far, well done sir.

As said above - this could take a while to go through and decide!

All the best, Mike.
                          Mike you should have bought the ** earlier mate LOL

Comment

Your list of favourites will consist of one choice from each category, in priority order, giving your overall favourite.
                            Points will be allotted as follows: 8 points to first choice, 7 to second choice, 6 to third choice, 5 to fourth choice and so on...
                            Voters do not have to vote for all categories.
                            Hi Graydon

A question:
                            We can only choose one favourite from each catagory (maximum of eight = 8 catagories)
                            Then put each of those favourites in overall favourite order.
                            If we only really like say 5 out of 5 catagories then mark those only.

Can we have say a maximum of 3 (three) images from any one catagory?
                            I ask this as my top 5 might be in "macro" or any one catagory.
                            In "Landscape" (for instance) there are 40 entries, in "Nature" there are 39 entries but in "Anything Else" there are only 11 entries.
                            So there are almost 4X more entries in "Landscape" compared to "Anything Else" but we can only vote for 1 (one).
                            This give an advantage to all the entries in "Anything Else" and and advantage to anyone who has multiple entries in that catagory.

Just a thought.

Stephen
                            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Wow! the quality of entries this year has gone up a few notches! impressive and going to be fun deciding on favourites (will need a few days for sure)! huge thanks Graydon
                              regards
                              Donald

Comment

Working...
                              X