Challenge 200 - Round and about your town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 200 - Round and about your town

This month’s challenge subject is "Round and about your town”.

Hoping this will give everyone the opportunity to take part. As per the title your photos can be of anything taken round your town, building, parks, flowers, nature, people, etc.

Judging will be based on:
    * fulfilling the brief.
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

Once the deadline closes, I will go away and review all images and select a top 3 (gold, silver and bronze) with a winner based on the criteria stated above.

The usual rules apply:
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M / R series but can use any make of lens.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • Points will be awarded towards the overall year award - Gold wins 50 points, Silver 40 points and Bronze 30 points and all other entries will be awarded 20 points. These points will be accumulated over the year and provide a leader board through the year.
    • No frames or borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme, and if you want a short description.
    • Please, NO comments on images - on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t contact me to discuss my choices). I’m not a trained judge but will try and be fair in my judging.

The closing date for the Challenge is midnight (GMT) on 21st April 2024.

Bump

This is Challenge 204.

Comment

Took a walk along the seafront and this dog was thoroughly enjoying himself...

Digging on the Beach by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Originally posted by Stackman View Post
        Bump

This is Challenge 204.
        Thanks - my thought as well.

Comment

In the verge just a few yards down the road from Chez Nous in Backwell.

Ramsons by John Liddle, on Flickr
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

No fuel today...
            Taken in the village (Lazonby)
            no fuel today.2.jpg

Comment

Rainbows
              EOS R'bow by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

Comment

Down by the woods
                Tree shadows1 by brianvickers, on Flickr
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

The competition is now closed. I will give the results in a few days.

Comment

RESULTS OF THE CHALLENGE

Thanks to all who entered....

I’m not a judge but here are my comments on the images, overall they were all very good, making judging difficult.

The first entry “Diggin on the beach” by Ian is a dynamic and playful photo the captures a fun filled moment for the dog. There is a sense of mystery and humour in the image and the sand is captured well, highlighting the main subject.

The second entry “Ramsoms” by John captured a lovely swath of wildflowers – a real celebration of spring. The composition gives good a sense of the wildflower's environment, which is quite immersive. You've achieved a pleasant shallow depth of field, which helps to isolate some of the flowers from the background, although the point of focus isn't immediately obvious.

The third “No Fuel Today” by Nat is a super mono hinting at times gone by and a sense of abandonment. There's a nice leading line created by the fuel pumps that draws the eye into the scene, and the "CLOSED" sign is an excellent compositional element that adds to the story.

The fourth shot “Rainbows” by Stephen is a delightful capture of a rainbow gracing the scene! The contrast between the dark, moody sky and the bright colours of the rainbow is striking, creating a compelling visual narrative. The wet road also adds a reflective quality that enhances the image's texture and depth. Post bottom left is slightly distracting.

The fifth shot “Down by the woods” by Brian is a compelling black and white image that captures the intricate textures and forms of the forest. The interplay of light and shadow creates depth, highlighting the complexity of the woodland scene.

So my judgement in order:-

Gold (50 points) - Diggin of the beach, this is such a fun photo.

Silver (40 points) – Rainbows, a well composed and processed image with good colours

Bronze (30 points) – No Fuel today, interesting mono with plenty to keep the interest of the viewer

The other entries get 20 points each.

Thanks again to all who entered, so everyone think about entering the next challenge, it is only for fun.

I'd like to invite Ian as the winner this month to run the next challenge.

Chris

Comment

Well done Ian, great shot.

Comment

Well that’s a surprise! Thank you Chris for the challenge, judging and the comments. And well done to my podium companions.

I will post a new Challenge shortly…

Ian
                        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Congratulations Ian - we wait with bated breath!
                          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks for hosting the challenge Chris…and critique. Congratulations to Ian Stephen and Nath.
                            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Chris for hosting this months challenge and great feedback given. Thanks for the podium finish also, very happy with that.

Well done to Stephen for 2nd place and a huge congratulations to Ian for his winning image looking forward to the next one already!

​​​​​​
                              ​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X