Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarawak
    replied
    Re: Going BONKERS!- Wither Great Britain?

Keep at it Nat! There ae just too many people who are scared/offended/frightened to mention anything to do with personal beliefs/attitudes/desires, in the mistaken belief that offence will be given to certain minorities. It is noticeable that these self same minorities have little compunction in handing out abuse, but dear me - just look what happens if anyone complains!

These are the same people who won't let their children play out side because of all the bad things that are going to happen, the same people who won't let anyone near them with a DSLR but who merrily put every mobile phone picture they can onto TwitBook. The same people who never ever created anything by themselves but are always at the front of the queue when there are handouts to be had.

I'm afraid society is degenerating into those who shout loudest get their way, and those who are prepared to roll their sleeves up and work are the stupid ones. It's a moral problem as much as a religious one!

Leave a comment:

• Ems
    replied

OK. It’s jst my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

This is the EOS pub thread where members have discussed vandalism with photographs, theft of a bicycle from property, illnesses ,disability with photographs,financial difficulties which has enabled members to help out and similar.
    As long as members are fair in their comments and exercise a degree of tolerance to other views, IMHO this pub serves a very good purpose. A mine of information.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 18-02-2014, 11:28.

Leave a comment:

• Ems
    replied

Perhaps we should refrain discussing religion or politics. It seems to be making the forum a much less friendly place.

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

I note your argument, Stephen. I do not wish to start a rant on "religion" but I am offended to find that non practicing Christians tend to "ridicule" God by using his name in vain and in this connection asking some one to be a "godparent". Why bring God into it when the purpose of this exercise is to oversee a child's future development. Therefore why not use the word "Fairy parent" and that is what they are. It is a change of terminology that I am requesting-not a difficult thing in today's world. So many words have been changed in today's,modern climate to suit the times and why not give the true meaning to the duty to overseeing a child's development? If the word "Fairy" is not appropriate why not "Interested friend". What is wrong in that? As you have admitted that you are not a "true" Christian you are not aware the offense this causes to many practicing Christians like myself.I am sure a Muslim will not tolerate Allah being used in this sense. Look at the problems caused when someone caricatured his face in Europe, a few years ago.

This is another instance of PC gone mad.

I fully disagree with your question in the last sentence and will not say anymore on that.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 18-02-2014, 10:42.

Leave a comment:

• Hereford_EOS
    replied

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
    (iii) I consider, as a Christian,very offensive, to find that our "famous people" enjoy appointing/selecting as God parents those who have no interest in the Christian faith. For instance our Simon Cowell has selected his ex-girl friend as a "god" parent. I wonder when she last attended church? A God parent is one who, apart from being a Christian,is given the duty of ensuring that the child is brought to be baptised in church and then to oversee the christian upbringing of that child along with the child's parents. However,today, a "god" parent is one who is one who is to look to the welfare of the child and be some sort of an influential person in that child's life. Since this appears to be the modern interpretation of a "god parent" it would make much more sense to name such a person as "interested "fairy" father and "fairy" mother, rather than bringing God into the equation. I am certain other religions will not tolerate such things
    I am offended by that remark (but not seriously offended).
    I am not a "Christian" in the sense that I do not attend church regularly nor do I believe in God.
    Yet; I am the godparent to three wonderful young ladies now aged 18+.
    I was there at their baptisms but as far as religion goes ... that is their choice and I as their "godfather" I will support them with whatever choice they make.
    The modern view of the "godparent" is to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development, which I do.

As for Simon Cowell choosing Sinitta as a godparent I think that is a fair choice as they have remained close friends for many years
    Whoever he chooses then that is his choice and we should respect that.
    I am certain other religions will not tolerate such things
    So shall we kill them, stone them, make them outcasts; what shall we do?

I agree with part i, ii and iv.

Leave a comment:

• Jock
    replied

I'm with you all the way Nat.

I've tried several iterations of this post, but every time I find myself getting carried away and perhaps saying way too much, so instead of turning this into a full-bodied rant about my opinions on everything, i am just going to agree with you ... 100%!

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

Just two matters I would like to comment on (i) re overseas aid to poor countries, it is important never to give them Money as 90% appear to go into the pockets of unprincipled government officers. We should do as what China does. Take British capital equipment and British experts & workers to those poor countries and do the work ourselves. If one looks at China's influence in African & Asian countries you find little China towns springing up full of Chinese people and proper development and infrastructure works taking place.This also knocks corruption on the head. (ii) Re James Blunt's statement about opinions and "xxxxholes", it must be pointed out that it is only when people have opinions that you find xxxxholes. If one doesn't have an opinion- a sad world it would be if this was the status quo- one doesn't find so many xxxxholes. To have an opinion and be free to express it is the hallmark of a free society, the hallmark of democracy. Long may it continue.

Leave a comment:

• Bill53
    replied

Well put Nat, totally agree.

Bill.

Leave a comment:

• Roberto
    replied

Hmmm. This thread is covering a lot of topics!

Here's my 2cents for what it's worth.

Although there are times when it's taken too far, as long as people encounter racism, bigotry, homophobia and other prejudices, some sort of political correctness is inevitable - desirable, even.
    I have no problem with the UK as a relatively affluent country providing aid to people who are in desperate need, but I do agree that giving money to countries that are spending (wasting?) millions on space exploration, nuclear weapons or even civil war seems inappropriate.
    In terms of spending public money helping people affected by the dreadful flooding (and keep in mind there's a good chance this won't be a one-off), maybe if the government invested some money chasing down the companies and individuals who avoid, evade or otherwise don't pay their taxes, they'd raise billions that could be used to help clear the national debt and help out the communities that are in need here.

Finally, I can't for one minute see how voting for a one-policy party populated by people who are happy to publicly blame the weather we've experienced on the government's adoption of gay marriage will help at all.

As James Blunt said on Top Gear last night............. opinions are like ****holes - everybody's got one!

Leave a comment:

• Dave_S
    replied

I'm 100% with you Nat, on i. ii, and iv

I won't say anymore, as I have VERY strong views on some of what you say, and it would be difficult for me to 'bite my tongue'.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_S; 18-02-2014, 16:04.

Leave a comment:

• Longshot
    replied

Don't start me off please !!!!!!!!!!!!! Just vote UKIP, they are making "Call me Dave" and the rest THINK about what the majority know and want. STOP giving our money away to the rest of the so called developing world, we have no money anyway so Good Old Dave borrows it and gives it away, brilliant idea so can I have some please ??

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

Originally posted by freshwater View Post
    Politics, religion, environment, economics and crime all in one post!

About the only potentially controversial subject missed out is sport (unless you feel that having a go at Simon Cowell falls into that category).

I will await the start of the revolution ... but I doubt that it will change a thing.
    What sort of sport are you referring to? is it about being the world champion in laying "eggs" here and there?
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 17-02-2014, 19:51.

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

As mentioned by John27, charity begins at home. It is not difficult if all our good forum members think about writing directly to David Cameron and Ed Milliband our concerns and views with a copy to the relevant MP, I am sure the message WILL get through. In my books it is apathy of the people, people like us that is the root cause of all this trouble. I am saying this as even now I have several people in my sights including my local MP,the County Council, the Archbishops of Canterbury and York to mention a few. The Freedom of information act is a very good tool for us, the smaller fry, to make use of successfully. This act enables us to get first hand information,legally,and can be made use of to good effect.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 17-02-2014, 19:50.

Leave a comment:

• freshwater
    replied

Politics, religion, environment, economics and crime all in one post!

About the only potentially controversial subject missed out is sport (unless you feel that having a go at Simon Cowell falls into that category).

I will await the start of the revolution ... but I doubt that it will change a thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X