Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Notice: str_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/string.php on line 3 Going BONKERS!- Wither Great Britain? - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going BONKERS!- Wither Great Britain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nathaniel
    replied
    Re: Going BONKERS!- Wither Great Britain?

[QUOTE=Roberto;198018]I may regret posting this....... in my defence, I've had a few drinks and just watched Wales hammer France in the 6 Nations...

"I have visited a number of cathedrals whilst on holiday (Barcelona, Notre Dame and the Sacre Coeur to name but 3) that insist all visitors dress respectfully - for the ladies, no "vest tops" or very short skirts".

Some confusion here. A place of worship- like a church, mosque, temple- needs to be respected. I have adhered to the rules. What I meant was to walk about on the streets, open places, without any specific religious connections.

Anyway as in any free country we have the right to agree to disagree and be friends. No problem there.

Leave a comment:

• Roberto
    replied

I may regret posting this....... in my defence, I've had a few drinks and just watched Wales hammer France in the 6 Nations...

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
    I for myself, have never ever tried to convince anyone about my beliefs and principles but lived and still live my life according to my beliefs.
    Sorry Nathaniel, I think that's exactly what you've done in your previous posts referring to the offence you feel at the use of the word "Godparent" being used by people who you believe are not practicing Christians.
    I also agree that we in Britian are not allowed the privilages that we allow our muslim brothers and sisters in this country such as to build Mosques, wear their own Nicabs and so on whilst we are NOT permitted to wear a cross, wear short dresses or build churches in Middle Eastern Countries. I know that my ex-wife was asked to remove her crucifix at the airport when entering a middle eastern country; I am also aware of western ladies requested to wear long skirts, trousers and not short skirts or shorts!
    I have visited a number of cathedrals whilst on holiday (Barcelona, Notre Dame and the Sacre Coeur to name but 3) that insist all visitors dress respectfully - for the ladies, no "vest tops" or very short skirts. So the issues you describe do apply to Christian churches as well as non-Christian.
    I, for one, am proud to live in a country that is liberal enough to allow people with different cultural and religious beliefs to practice their beliefs without any hindrance. The fact that other countries in this crazy mixed-up world are not so understanding doesn't mean we should follow suit. If you know a particular country has certain restrictions and you're not comfortable with those, surely no one is forcing you to visit that country?

Although I disagree with many of your beliefs, again, I'm proud to live in a country where we can each express different beliefs and debate them openly, and I would defend your right to hold those beliefs - long may it continue!

Time for bed, methinks......

Leave a comment:

• collywobbles
    replied

God didn't create us; we created him, her, it or whatever! As there are so many different beliefs or religions how can any of them be correct?
    So, "god" created the Earth, or so we are taught at school. So how old does that make him, her, it?
    Black Fox.... here,here!

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

So, I take a few days in my deathbed suffering from ManFlue, breathed my last at least twice and the big photography lady in the sky wouldn't let me in ................. cos you lot stopped discussing friendly Photography and got on to the taboos of religion, politics, race and gender.

Whatever next? Oh don't tell me ................ bloody football teams!

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

I refer to your post Black Fox and I fully understand your feelings and opinions. I did not wish to write further on this topic as religion seems to get everyone hot and bothered. However, I would like you to treat this reply/post as an intellectual exercise- so that one can think throught this logically without any random statements.

I fully agree that over the years a lot of mistakes have been made by various religious bigots to force their beliefs on others- these bigots were not only Christians, but the Turks with the Ottoman empire, the Romans with their own ideology, the Muslims to impose Sharia law, to name a few. I for myself, have never ever tried to convince anyone about my beliefs and principles but lived and still live my life according to my beliefs.
    I also agree that we in Britian are not allowed the privilages that we allow our muslim brothers and sisters in this country such as to build Mosques, wear their own Nicabs and so on whilst we are NOT permitted to wear a cross, wear short dresses or build churches in Middle Eastern Countries. I know that my ex-wife was asked to remove her crucifix at the airport when entering a middle eastern country; I am also aware of western ladies requested to wear long skirts, trousers and not short skirts or shorts! This is another aspect of BONKERS BRITAIN.
    So I fully agree with your rant, Black Fox.

The point I am trying to make here is that my beliefs and principles after many years as a NON CHRISTIAN were changed by LOGICAL THINKING.I was an Agnlostic and an Athiest at one time. I did look into the concept of Christianity in a rational and loical manner.

(i) I checked out the authenticity of Christ's birth and death- via the Google search engine & Encyclopadia Britanica under Christ. All the scholars were in agreement that there was a man called Jesus, who was baptised by John and put to death by Pilate. So this is not a myth or a "fairy" like person. This is a FACT

(ii) The 4 Gospels in the New Testament- Matthew, Mark,Luke and John- were written by 4 different people, at DIFFERENT TIMES; they were not related and we not doing the same job either. However, their story has the same trend- the birth of Christ, his, life and teachings. and his death. How is this possible, if there was not such a person as Christ?

(iii) The Virgin birth has been questioned and today we all know that a child can be born without a father- via AI for example. Therefore in the olden days- a period which saw such majestic buildings being built without all the modern technology (look at our wonderful churches and Cathedrals for example)- a "fatherless birth" is still possible. No one today has disproved this.

(iv) Empricial observation- Before my re-convertion back to Christianity I visited the Holy Land to find more evidence to satisfy my logical mind- I saw the dead sea (had a float there),saw Galilee and the Jesus boat- remnants still remain, the place where he was crucified and buried, the place where he was born. All these places have been the subject of several forensic research by several experts and they still cannot disprove anything.It would be nice if more people made and effort to visit the Holy Land,IGNORING ALL THE POLITICS, and see for themselves.

Even the celebrated Athetist, Stephen Hawkins, has agreed that there are somethings in life which even Science and logic cannot explain.

I have not delved into further details as it would be far too long in this intellectual exercise.

I trust that this has been helpful in explaining my return to the fold.

Leave a comment:

• Roberto
    replied

Originally posted by Ems View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11242[/ATTACH]
    Hah - Priceless.....

Leave a comment:

• Ems
    replied

Peanuts.jpg

Leave a comment:

• the black fox
    replied

oh how i hate religion its a front for giving hope to the hopeless ,and in reality just a cash cow for the people at the top of each so called faith .
    my philosophy runs along the lines of we are all citizens of planet earth ,we should ALL be allowed to go where we like or want on the entire planet without having to take colour/race/religion/or creed into account .there are things /places on this planet that i would dearly love to see or visit or investigate but its banned to me because someone that believes in a different god or colour or religion claims it as theres and theres alone .

it all totally insane to me ,in this day and age we can fly over a off limits area ,we can view it on computer via satellite ,we can see images on the media but cannot visit it personally .i have no bar on any religion having been in churches ,cathedrals ,synagogues,mosques and even had a personal guided tour of a grand mosque in eygpt .yet if i/you wished to visit the the mountain of jabel-en-laws in saudi arabia i or you would not be allowed to go (its supposedly the real mount sinai ) mount ararat in turkey used to be off limits to but i think thats been relaxed slightly now .or take it to the other extreme try and visit area 51 in the u.s.a . mere mortals cannot get near .

it all wrong and 95% of it is in the name of religion or nationality .we are ALL citizens of this planet and should be treated such .rant over

P.S and nat ,china and india have a space program ,all we get on our programs are repeats of only fools and horses
    Last edited by the black fox; 19-02-2014, 18:40.

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

Roberto, I can only hope for the best, on behalf of the 46 signatures I got!! I might say that I have done this before and I have the gut feeling that certainly someone a bit higher than the secretary will see it. I might also get the help of a friendly freelance journalist to put some thing in the press- nationally drawing attention to the petition etc. I know one or two who have helped me in the past! So watch this space.

Leave a comment:

• Roberto
    replied

All this is part of the great bonkers tradition. I have sent a small petition, signed by a few people, on these matters to the PM, Ed Milliband and Nick Clegg. I can't do much these days on account of my own health considerations, otherwise I would have got more signatures. I think if more people take the trouble to write in with their concerns, it should have some effect. I always mark these petitions/letters- Strictly Personal above the addressee's name. Atleast this way I know that some one higher up, will open the mail.
    Nathaniel, I know you are a seasoned campaigner and I don't, in any way, mean to diminish your efforts, but are you really sure about this? I can't help but feel some secretary (I'm thinking here "Bernard" from Yes Minister) will be fielding all the mail aimed at the leaders of all parties.
    I hope I'm wrong.... :)

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

All this is part of the great bonkers tradition. I have sent a small petition, signed by a few people, on these matters to the PM, Ed Milliband and Nick Clegg. I can't do much these days on account of my own health considerations, otherwise I would have got more signatures. I think if more people take the trouble to write in with their concerns, it should have some effect. I always mark these petitions/letters- Strictly Personal above the addressee's name. Atleast this way I know that some one higher up, will open the mail.

Leave a comment:

• Sarawak
    replied

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
    I read that the financial aid to India will stop next year (2015).
    As I understand the situation we are going to stop giving them cash, but continue to give them equipment, hardware and staff. Not really an end to aid at all, just disguising it. Isn't it about time that one of the biggest economies in the world stopped holding it's collective hand out? There are enough spongers inside this country without encouraging those from far afield.

Leave a comment:

• Jock
    replied

Re flood plains.

In June 2007, the East Riding of Yorkshire was hit by some rather heavy rainfall. I was at work at the time and called my wife who was at home, watching the water rise.

I left work and headed home - I tried the main road - but was turned back by police despite having a 4WD with high ground clearance (they politely told me to go and have a look round the corner - and there was a double decker bus, water up to the second floor). I tried a different route, but I bottled out when the water got above the door sills. I was trapped at work and without sufficient diabetic medication to last more than a few hours. I decided to risk the only route left open to me - over the flood plains. Not a problem!

Flood plains are designed to drain - I'm not saying they stay dry, but they have far better drainage than other land. Having said that, I don't think I"d like to live on one!

Leave a comment:

• Roberto
    replied

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
    Why do we still build homes on flood plains? It is a "flood plain" and therefore liable to flood.
    I do understand the history and using the waterways to transport goods etc.. but there are no excuses for building on flood plains in modern times.
    Great point.... It's not going to get any better:

Leave a comment:

• debcot
    replied

Well said Nat!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X