Video section in latest EOS Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video section in latest EOS Magazine

I must say that I found the latest magazine very useful for advice in the video functions of Canon DSLRs. It even inspired me to buy a good external microphone. Gary
    www.garywhite-photography.com
    Gary White, MPhil
    Travel Photographer

Re: Video section in latest EOS Magazine

I have to say that I was disappointed to see the article on video. I know that Canon now seem keen on incorporating video into the DSLR cameras but the magazine is surely for still photography. As far as I am concerned I enjoy still and video but lets keep them completely separate. I do hope Canon do not continue to incorpoate video into all their still cameras.

Comment

but lets keep them completely separate
      No - Why should we?

I don't use it as my body doesn't have the functionality - but if it did then it would be important to me.

Wildlife is my bag - so consider this. I am using my long lens trying to get some still shots, but let's say I am watching some interesting behaviours. At the click of a button, I can now get moving images, with long lens techniques, with the DOF effects that that brings, in true wildlife documentary format.

Now that is an application in just one area of my particular photography, but if you were into travel, reportage, street or sport, then all of these might find it useful

I hope the replacement 1D3 body has the feature, and it will of course be improved in the next generation.

Martin

Comment

Simreb, I dont agree with your comments. EOS Mag would be doing us a disservice if they didn't brief us on latest developments. And after all, the magazine doesn't decide on Canon's development policy. I agree with Martin's comments. You can just ignore the video features if you don't want them. Like it or not, this is the way things are going - there is convergence in the market just like there has been in other areas. For example, originally mobile phones were for making phone calls. Now we dont think anything about checking our emails, looking at web sites and even taking photos with them!

When I was at school, people said that slide rules meant that new-fangled calculators were not needed! OK, of course there is a marketing imperitive to push new products and compete with Nikon, etc but I actually welcome the video functionality for occasional use, even if it is not my main reason to have the camera. Gary
        Gary White, MPhil
        Travel Photographer

Comment

This is only my opinion, but i feel the video function devalues the fact the camera is specifically designed to take high quality still images. The fact it takes video just seems make it less special for this purpose. Filling it with features that clog up the menus, button controls, etc.

Plus I also own a Canon XL2 video camera anyway, which you can put an EF adapter on it to use EF lenses.

Comment

I guess I just don't see how video functionality devalues a camera's ability to take still images. Honestly there isn't that much difference between a still image and video. Fundamentally the camera is doing the same thing. It's all about focusing and capturing light. I suppose I can see where you're coming from about specialization. Especially in terms of controls but it really seems like they didn't fundamentally change those and furthermore I can’t see any areas the still camera aspects are lacking as a result of having the ability to capture video. Video certainly meets a desired need expressed from a lot of photojournalist and it is also something the average photographer will find intriguing. My opinion is video makes the camera less specialized but more special.

I think the main focus of the magazine should be and is on still photography but I would be disappointed to not see an occasional article on EOS video capabilities. A lot of readers have an interest in video.

Good work on this article and the current issue in general.

Comment

I agree with sggladden - no harm done at all
              Gary White, MPhil
              Travel Photographer

Comment

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with it being on the website about the Canon product, as a general thing I don't like promsumer still cameras for video as well.

Comment

Perhaps, Canon could incorporate a phone into their new generation EOS cameras, then we wouldn't have to carry our mobile phones with us! :-)
                  Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Seriously, I have thought for a while that DSLRs could have slots for SIM cards, then we could email photos by 3G!
                    Gary White, MPhil
                    Travel Photographer

Comment

Thanks for your feedback everybody. We read everything that's posted here. Discussions like these are good way for us to see what our readers think of the topics we're covering in the magazine.
                      Andrew
                      www.eos-magazine.com

Comment

I find it hard to understand the reasons for any DSLR to incorporate video when Canon already has camcorders which are dedicated to that purpose.

Comment

It's convergence. It just takes a little extra software to make the still camera a video camera (it has an imaging chip and a shutter already). Just think - originally, mobile phones just made phone calls. Then they added other bells and whistles including cameras. Everyone said 'why' at first. So did I. I got a new phone that had a camera installed, whether liked it or not.... I thought 'what a load of rubbish' - until the day that someone drove into my car and tried to drive off, and I had the camera phone pictures as evidence .. then I thought the camera phone was one of the great achievements of modern technology!
                          There is nothing we can do about this trend. We just need to get used to it. I personally don't find it an issue at all on my 5D mk2. I doesn't get in the way of an otherwise excellent still camera. Gary
                          Gary White, MPhil
                          Travel Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Gary - Fulham View Post
                            Seriously, I have thought for a while that DSLRs could have slots for SIM cards, then we could email photos by 3G!
                            I work in mobile communications and I doubt it will be too far away. 3G could be faster and more available though. Telecom operators are looking at their networks now and are starting to merge sites with each other so the coverage for 3G will improve a lot in the next year or two. When the next generation of mobile broadband (which offers 100Mb/Sec) I can see many manufacturers adding this technology to their pro cameras and eventually it will come down to their prosumer ones too!

THe wireless grip does offer this but it's very expensive!
                            5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
                            X