Global shutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global shutter

I think the description of Canon's global shutter sensor is a little off. As far as I am aware, the pixels cannot be read "all at once". At best, there could be a read-out for every column, but that would take many parallel circuits (3,500 or more) to do that.
    Most global shutter sensors I am aware of use a type of memory cell in each pixel. This stores the exposed image, so that the usual line-by-line readout circuits can be used, although it is possible to operate 2 or more lines in parallel. The readout therefore is pretty similar to current read-outs, line by line, but the data is extracted from the stored pixel image, which was saved in a single exposure. That is where the "all at once" might apply.
    I suspect, too, that that is why the sensor only has 19Mpx. Each pixel has to accommodate additional transistors to operate the memory, so is larger than the usual rolling shutter pixel.
    I would think that this new sensor would be appearing in the forthcoming R1, whenever that might appear.
    I would add, in editing, that if the sensor was a backside illuminated one with the electronics underneath it is possible that the pixel storage would be under the main pixels. I suppose in fairness that could be arranged to give a very fast read out with many columns in parallel.
    Last edited by neonlamp; 12-06-2023, 13:15.
Working...
X