Not a criticism, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a criticism, but...

I was just wondering, thinking back since I have been subscribed, and I have heard several times EOS magazine isnt sponsored by Canon, the only revenue is from any advertising.

This to me is fine and the magazine is dedicated to users of EOS cameras. What I dont understand if we all use EOS cameras, but use different lenses accessories etc, why do we never see reviews of Sigma, Tokina or other 3rd party brands? All we ever see is Canon releases and tests, which is all well and good if you can afford them!

From my perspective I am an avid canon user and think i will always be and of course it should go withou saying I aspire to purchase L glass when I am retired, the kids have grown up and have paid off my overdraft! But in the mean time, is it possible for EOS Magazine to test, review, compare and independently write about all the products available to EOS users?!?! Sometimes I feel the magazine just doesnt relate to me as a reader...

Rob

Re: Not a criticism, but...

Sorry reading back that does sound like a criticism, I meant to say not a complaint..

Comment

Fair enough question though. I think the idea is that it's only EOS items though, hint the name. I personally wouldn't mind seeing other accessories here.
      Ricky
      http://rljslick.smugmug.com/

Comment

...other photographic magazines are available.

Bob
        Bob Turner
        Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
          ...other photographic magazines are available.

Bob
          True,

But it would be rare for any of them to do a direct comparison of a Canon lens against its 3rd party alternatives. That's where I see the possibility for real added value.

Comment

I think, by definition, this is a Canon-centred magazine and as such should publish everything Canon. As has been said earlier, one can always look at other magazines for reviews of other lenses, etc.

Having said that, I don't mind seeing reviews of things not available through Canon, perhaps such as tripods and heads, camera bags, etc

Comment

Hi Rob,

Next time you are in W H Smith (or any good retailer) have a look at "Photo Plus - Canon Edition"

Just what you are looking for I think. Have to say I've found their reviews of Canon/3rd Party gear invaluable and the general articles are all Canon orientated.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Yes, I was just wondering about the claims made here that "EOS magazine is the only print publication dedicated to EOS owners." That's stretching things just a tad.

PhotoPlus is the only monthly magazine dedicated to consumer Canon SLRs, from the EOS 350 and 400D to the 5D and beyond... And although we’re all about Canon SLRs, we’re 100% independent of Canon and don’t rely on them for advertising.
                It's all about terminology isn't it!

PhotoPlus
                The Image Plane
                Snapshots of Anything

Comment

The question to me would seem to be is EOS Magazine for EOS equipment or EOS users? I would like to think it is for EOS users. If this is true, then why not review other kit for use with our cameras. As for Photoplus Canon Edition, it's OK but not a patch on EOS Magazine. The articles just don't have the depth in my humble opinion.

In conclusion, I would be delighted to see 3rd party equipment given the EOS Magazine treatment.

Comment

I know that the EOS magazine is for Canon owners' however, in fairness, I have many a time posed questions directly to Robert on lenses that were NOT Canon for example about Mirror lenses, and I have always received a fair reply. I did not get a reply stating that because this was not a Canon product that he was NOT able to reply. Additonally I know that I have read in the some replies, from Robert, suggestions that I should try other brand lenses for the focal length I require.

So, I must conclude that EOS magazine has been quite fair in the advice given to me. Of course for specific comments there are other photographic magazines to think about. Also I would suggest that members read what Consumer Which? has to say. They test various lenses using their own criteria and I find their comments invaluable.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

The EOS shop sells non Canon goods that it hasn't reviewed
                      ef-r

Comment

For me, the major benefit is that it is all Canon gear.

If I cannot justify the expense of an item I need, there are plenty of comparison reviews available elsewhere.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Working...
                        X