Windmill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windmill

Windmills seems to be a topic of the day, following on loosely from Glezga's post here are some images of a traditional windmill.
    I met up with a friend for coffee and we happened to be 1/4 mile away from the windmill, so of course I took my camera along to take some pics!

This is High Salvington windmill at Worthing in Sussex, it has been restored and is open I think every other Sunday afternoon. The area surrounding it is very built up so it was a challenge to be able to photograph the whole mill. The sky is a trifle on the bright side and the building is dark....

As always, all help and comments gratefully received.
    Rose

windmill 1 by Rose, on Flickr
    windmill 2 by Rose, on Flickr

windmill 3 by Rose, on Flickr

Windmill 4 by Rose, on Flickr

Windmill 5 by Rose, on Flickr

Windmill 6 by Rose, on Flickr
    Last edited by Lavenderhill; 19-08-2023, 14:13.

Nice set Rose
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

A great set of pics Rose. It is interesting to note that the two opposing set of sails have different designs and controlling mechanisms.

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Nice shots Rose.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

A lot more photogenic than the modern ones, nice work.
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Originally posted by Farider View Post
            A great set of pics Rose. It is interesting to note that the two opposing set of sails have different designs and controlling mechanisms.

Ian
            Just goes to show how observant I am, I had noticed until you pointed it out.
            my knowledge of windmills is almost zero, so I have no idea why - perhaps there’ll someone who can supply the reason.
            Rose

Comment

No idea about the sails but some great shots.

Comment

Taken from the mills web site
                There is a pair of Common sails – a framework covered with canvas – and a pair of Spring Shutter sails – a series of wooden boards actuated by a long shutter bar and held by a large leaf spring.

Comment

Nice set Rose, well done for making the effort to get them
                  Peter

Feel free to browse my
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Nice photos

Comment

A good set there.

I've heard of the mill though I've never been there - mind you I've never been to Halnaker Mill near Chichester and that's a lot closer...
                      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
                        A good set there.

I've heard of the mill though I've never been there - mind you I've never been to Halnaker Mill near Chichester and that's a lot closer...
                        No, I’ve not been to Halnaker Mill either, been meaning to but never made it yet….maybe a windmill hunt is called for….
                        Rose

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
                          Taken from the mills web site
                          There is a pair of Common sails – a framework covered with canvas – and a pair of Spring Shutter sails – a series of wooden boards actuated by a long shutter bar and held by a large leaf spring.
                          Thank you, hadn’t read that. Next windmill I see I’ll pay closer attention to the sails to see if they also are in pairs.
                          maybe it provides greater efficiency or perhaps it was all that was available during restoration.
                          Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Lavenderhill View Post

Thank you, hadn’t read that. Next windmill I see I’ll pay closer attention to the sails to see if they also are in pairs.
                            maybe it provides greater efficiency or perhaps it was all that was available during restoration.
                            Rose
                            It's to aid trimming the sails, just as you would on a boat, the miller was able to get the right speed control, either slowing it down a bit on a windy day or catching the best of it on a calmer day.
                            The pair with the wooden slats were semi automatic on many mills, the canvas sails were dressed by the miller.

Comment

A nice set of pictures.
                              Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X