The 4 Galilean Moons of Jupiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 4 Galilean Moons of Jupiter

A mate of mine pointed to what I ignorantly thought to be a star and advised that it was Jupiter. Of course, I had to try and photograph it but the clouds were messing with me until about 2am when I managed to capture this reasonably clear shot.

Not sure if the yellow moon (Io) will still be observable after being through the flickr wringer but it is on the original.

Its not anywhere near the standard of Dave's Andromeda galaxy (wow!) but I'm pretty chuffed with it - hope you like it too.

5D3 x 800mm @ f5.6 x 1/45 @ ISO 800, cropped to about 3:1 before pixel packing for a 5" x 5"

Andy

Last edited by AndyMackie; 14-12-2013, 14:01.

Re: The 4 Galilean Moons of Jupiter

Not to bad Andy

Tom

Comment

It always amazes me that we can get that much detail from a dale at such a distance!

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

That's a good effort Andy, and the fact that you were able to capture the four Moons, indicates that you have a good chance of capturing the equatorial banding on Jupiter.

You will need to take two separate images. One like you have here, showing the moons, but with the planet burnt out, and then another exposed just for the planet (under exposure is always better), and in which the moons probably aren't visible, or if they are, then only just.

The two images can then be layer combined in Photoshop to produce a composite image.

You might have to experiment with the blending, but it should work.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Dave. What you say makes sense and I'll definitely give it a go.
            Cheers
            Andy

Comment

Working...
            X