Planets for a change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planets for a change

Yesterday evening was a lovely clear night, so I thought I'd head outside and take some snaps of Mars and Jupiter as they look rather splendid in the evening sky, and since I was quite pleased with the results I though I'd post them here as well

I quite like the Jupiter image with the moon Ganymede at 4 o'clock alongside The Great Red Spot (which is apparently much less great than it was even a couple of years ago!)

Jupiter by S.J.P, on Flickr
    Mars by S.J.P, on Flickr
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Re: Planets for a change

Awesome! I love the Jupiter image particularly.
    Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Really nice

No. 2 daughter gave me an astronomical telescope for Christmas year before last but it's little more than a toy - not a word to her about that as it was a nice thought and I’d hate to hurt her feelings.

With it I can 'just' see the rings of Saturn and the bands on Jupiter but I have no way to attach a camera and it's so sensitive to movement I can't use the higher magnification optics it came with so it really isn't as much fun as it could be. Shame as we live on the coast so anything towards the east is devoid of the light pollution that is such a problem these days.

I’ve got lots of big pipes left over from when we replaced the drains so I wonder if I can make one...

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Tom

Comment

SJP,
          Excellent stuff - these are difficult targets an you have done exceedingly well to get that amount of detail in the image.
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Well done Steve, especially getting some surface markings on Mars, and the Polar Ice-Cap.

Dave
            Dave

Comment

Thanks all :)

I read that Mars is the angular size of an iPhone at 1 mile, so it's pretty amazing that you can resolve anything on the surface at all!
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Excellent stuff and obviously some great technique being used.

Must take more notice of titles thought as I thought it said Plants for a Change!
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

great job Steve that Jupiter one is fantastic

Comment

Excellent (almost said "out of this world" but didn't)
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Agree with the others Steve, the Jupiter shot is brill.

Regards Paul

Comment

Nice to see these shots on the forum, Jupiter looks the better out of the 2.

Paul
                        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks all!

Planets sure are a challenge, but I am planning on having a go at Saturn this week - if the skies clear!

Comment

Great shots very well done.
                            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

...there is symmetry in chaos....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mosscroft-images/
                              http://500px.com/DouglasMcMann/

Comment

Working...
                              X