Clear All

Friends

Canon 5D MKII
    50mm (EF50mm f/1.8, MK I)
    1/60 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 800

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Friends

I've looked at this pic a few times and keep coming back to the same view that it's a little on the hard side i.e. the mid tones are missing. I think this is the feel of what you were aiming for. I would have softened it a little and gone for more sharpening to keep the beard detail. I like moody portraits so well done.
    Cheers
    Treff

Comment

I like moody as well and this works well. Hard lighting make him more of a man with lots of character. Brave cropping, but it works well as he has plenty of space on the side to counter his haircut.

Where it works best is that I can't possible know the sitter, but the way the portrait is presented, I "Feel" I know him.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Thanks Treff & Colin for the kind comments. And you are correct Treff, that the hard look was what I was after. He retired from the Marine Corps, served in Vietnam & is now recovering from a fall from a roof. We've been friends for of 30 years & last week was the 1st I got to see him in about 4 years, so I wanted to do a shot that told a story.

Thanks
        Tom

Comment

As the others have said very moody but it works and I also really like it, well done and I hope he soon fully recovers from the fall

Comment

Like it. I must admit I did wait for other comments -sorry, but a bit whimpish!! I like the hard processing which I 'think' you do quite a lot of, but its not to everybodies taste. He looks like jerry Garcia with slightly shorter hair. keep up the good work!

Comment

Great shot definitely works for me. I had the same feeling as Colin re- feeling you know him, then it hit me, your subject has a striking resemblance to the late Oliver Reed! Nice Shot.

Andy

Comment

Thanks all for stopping by and commenting on the photo. Much appreciated.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                X