• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the harbour

350D 18-55mm @22mm ISO 100 1/100 f8
    9x6-3663.jpg

Re: In the harbour

THe Framing of the shot is nice, however IMO, think this shot would do better with a larger DOF to bring the background more into focus. Did you blur this shot during processing or is this the way it came out of the camera?

Tom

Comment

Hi guys, thank you for the criticism in the first instance, always welcome and I shall take on board lot of what you have said. I used a lot of blur during post procesing in an attempt to lead the eye to the subject. There was a lot of colourful boats etc in the background in this image and made for a rather busy image, hence the black and white.

Maybe less processing is in order for future images.

Thanks again

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark, I quite like your composition of this image, and as Stephen pointed out it is an angle worth considering. I also agree with their comments rearding blur just a bit to much IMHO maybe crop some of the right?, also the B/W conversion seems to lack a little contrast, your treatment of the image however did exactly what you wanted it to do, it does draw the viewers eye to the main focus point. take all the consructive comments on board but don't let it smother the creative style you are trying to develop. after all we don't want al the pictures to be the same.

Ray

Comment

Well, it was good fun Ray and the blur is quite a good idea to focus attention. However, at the capture stage in the camera, when things are blurred, it is progressive away from the plane, or point of focus. That applies forwards and backwards from the focus point. Therefore, if you want to get the blurred effect and make it look natural, you have to select areas within the shot and blur them progressively.

Start close to the subject with a little blur, a bit more as you get a little further away and even more as you get further away. Probably three different planes of blur behind the focussed object and two in front of it and all with a large feather, so they blend in nicely.

Hope that helps.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

1x1_colour-3663.jpg

Re-worked in colour, cropped and blur removed.

Comment

The first image looks a little S&T which I like, for some reason it makes objects look toy like or miniature. I think with out realizing it you have created a vogue image : ) Good job.

Comment

Thanks Si, I like the shift and tilt look also which is precisely what I was trying to achieve in the first image. Unfortunately, I do not have the T&S lens money and exprerimented with blur to achieve the same effect. I will try a more progressive blur in future shots as Colin pointed out.

Glad you apperciate it ;)

Comment

If you continue to remove the blur from the rest of the boat it would really make it look miniature.

Comment

9x6_T&S-3663.jpg

I agree Si, Sharpening up the boat as made it look almost airfix model like.

Comment

9x6_T&S-3662.jpg

Increasing the sharpnes and clarity really pulls the objects out, same harbour different view point here.

Comment

Absolutely cracking........I like that a lot.

Comment

Have you thought about doing the house half way up the hill on the left in focus and everything else blurred?

Comment

Working...
                          X