Fly Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly Fishing

While searching for some images for my blog, came across this gentleman fly fishing. He wasn't catching anything, but watching him cast that fly was mesmerizing. I love to fish, and always wanted to try fly fishing, maybe one day I'll learn how. Meanwhile here he is in mid-cast:

1/500 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 100

For more images you can go to my blog.

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Fly Fishing

Fly fishing - the most difficult, and satisfying form of fishing. Even more so if you tie your own flies made from feather and fluff. Fluff Chucker's is the nickname given by other fishermen.

The cast is the all important element. There is no lead weight involved, so you rely only on the weight of the line to get the distance you need. Photographically, the line all the way back, or all the way forward isn't very exciting, but half way with the full loop in the line and it suggests the skill of the cast and also looks pretty good.

You may not be a fly fisherman (Yet) Tom, but with the placement of the subject in the frame, the modelling from the side light and capturing the cast at the perfect moment, you have done well with this shot.
    Colin

Comment

Nice one Tom

Is that Colin hiding under the hoodie ?

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Can't be doing with hoodies, I wear a stetson when fly fishing. That very fetching one shown in my Avatar, which Mrs C walked off when I bought it ........... he, he!
        Colin

Comment

Can't be doing with hoodies, I wear a stetson when fly fishing
          I knew that - just wondering if you were incognito on this occasion

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Caught in the act of "shooting the line" - nice shot Tom. I wonder what he was fishing for. In England we have until April before we can fish for Trout and having spent yet more money on a new rod on Saturday, I can't wait!
            Russell
            Russell
            Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Thanks Russell. Not sure as trout season doesn't open here until April as well.

Tom

Comment

Nice shot Tom.
                EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Thanks Chris

Comment

Nice shot Tom nothing better than watching someone making a good cast.

Salmon season is open here since Jan nowt better than out on the river spey casting with me 15ft rod its so effortless to cast a line
                    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Thanks Alex

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
                        Salmon season is open here since Jan nowt better than out on the river spey casting with me 15ft rod its so effortless to cast a line
                        Lucky you Alex. Down here in Hampshire salmon fishing is the privilege of millionaires, and unfortunately I'm not one of them. So it's wait 'til April and the Association water around Salisbury for me.
                        Russell
                        Russell
                        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                          Photographically, the line all the way back, or all the way forward isn't very exciting, but half way with the full loop in the line and it suggests the skill of the cast and also looks pretty good.
                          If you can capture the moment when the fly hooks the back of the fisherman's ear it looks even more dramatic!
                          Martin
                          Canon 7D,EFS 15-85 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Comment

Originally posted by Applefan View Post
                            If you can capture the moment when the fly hooks the back of the fisherman's ear it looks even more dramatic!
                            I did manage to pull my hat off in the early days.
                            Colin

Comment

I've managed to avoid the ears, but I did manage a half-ton bullock once. He took quite a lot of line before I reeled him in, and he was too big for the net. Would have made a great shot the pair of us scampering around the field. These days it would probably be a YouTube video to rival "Fenton!"

Russell
                              Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X