WWI Monument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Monument

Today I saw this WWI Monument to the fallen soldiers so thought I would try and go back to 1839 to when BW was 1st used, using the Daguerreotype processing:

All processing was done in Elements 11
    Camera was EOS-M EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

1/1000 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 100

1/1250 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 100

This was my 1st try in recreating this look.

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: WWI Monument

Very successful I would say - I was wondering why you were posting images taken from an old book at first!!!

Comment

Very interesting effect Tom, I like the first one, the second is rather spoiled by the background and the wires.

Regards Paul

Comment

I prefer the effect of the second one Tom but agree the wires are spoiling he o/a image

Comment

Not sure about the processing ... I'll go back and have another look #1 > #2 ... but this side of the pond we often overlook the American involvement in the 'Great War' / WWI (1917/18) which I understand was deeply unpopular in the USA (was it President Wilson?). Ah the special relationship and long may it last. When I worked in Cambridge I would regularly visit the American Cemetery with its manicured lawns and quiet (and the local USAF bases when I wanted noise ).

Comment

Like the processing, agree about the wires. Really suits the monument.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Di, Paul, Ian, MX5, & Di for stopping by and leaving a comment or two. As I said that this is my 1st attempt at this style of processing. The 1st image was adding the silver plate (that I scanned) twice to increase the blue and orange that is normally found in Daguerreotype processing. The 2nd image I used it only once.

What I find interesting is how people frown on utility poles & wires in images, but what I found amazing is that overhead wiring has been around since 1844. Approximately 5 years after photography was invented. So these eye sores have been with us for such a long time, yet we want to dismiss a image because they are a part of the landscape for 169 years. Just a thought.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                What I find interesting is how people frown on utility poles & wires in images, but what I found amazing is that overhead wiring has been around since 1844. Approximately 5 years after photography was invented. So these eye sores have been with us for such a long time, yet we want to dismiss a image because they are a part of the landscape for 169 years. Just a thought.
                A very good thought Tom, my type of photography means I record what I see (and not what I ideally would want to see) ... so street furniture, humans, critters and utility infrastructure stay in. I may sometimes use a tactical crop ... but that's it.

Comment

Good point Tom my main reason for mentioning it was that if the poles had been wooden rather than what looks like concrete they would have been in keeping with the style of photo and would have looked as if they should have been there, as to me the rest of the image had the old world look but seemed to be slightly spoilt by what appeared to be modern utilities infrastructure.

Comment

Hi Ian, those poles are wooden poles btw.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                      Hi Ian, those poles are wooden poles btw.

Tom
                      Tom I stand corrected, must get my eyes tested. I still like the treatment.

Comment

NP

Comment

Working...
                        X