The Red Mill (1810)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Red Mill (1810)

Had to go to my dentist in Clinton, NJ. After my appointment I stopped by the Red Mill.

The image was processed using the Daguerreotype technique in Elements 11
    Camera EOS-M w/M-EF 22mm STM w/variable ND Filter
    1/4 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 100

For more information about the Inn and additional pictures you can go to my blog: My World at 22mm, f/3.5

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: The Red Mill (1810)

Hope the dentist was uneventful ... after mine (inadvertently I should say ... it was the added adrenaline in the Novocaine) gave me a near death experience a few years ago I dread visits now.

Anyway nice post production of what looks like a splendid Inn-with-water-wheel.

Comment

That's quite an amazing shot Tom and I rather like the treatment.
      Colin

Comment

Looks good to me too Tom

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

I like that Tom and the history of the mill was interesting but I still don't know how it came to be known now as the Red Mill, or I missed that in the museum info.

If I missed it I will put it down to ld age

Comment

Hi Tom,
            Is Daguerreotype a new feature in Elements 11, I don't seem to have it in my Version 10? Interesting result though.
            Russell
            Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Thanks MX5, Colin, Stan, Ian and Russell for stopping by.

Ian, not sure why it is now called the Red Mill, other than when they restored it, they painted the mill red. But that is a guess on my part.

Russell if you have Elements 10 you can do the Daguerreotype processing as well. It starts by photographing or scanning a flat piece of silver. That becomes the silverbase used for the Daguerreotype. On that base I painted some orange & blue splotches on the image to create the chemical effect that was noticeable on Daguerreotype images. Once I saved that I bring the image that I shot into elements, add grain to the image, changed the hue & saturation to remove most of the color, added a black layer and created vertical grain as a soft light overlay, then added the sivlerbase I created as a softlight overlay, created a composite image of all the layers as the top layer, adjusted the levels to brighten the image that you would see on a Daguerreotype image, used Color Efex Pro to add the border that would match that type of print. then saved it.

Now typically I would scan the image to see if anything in the image should have motion to it. The reason being is that a Daguerreotype image took so long to create that there would be motion in the print. In those cases I would lasso those areas and add motion blur to them. In this image since I used a variable ND filter in the camera I got that motion blur in the water.

Tom

Comment

Suits the treatment very well.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Hi Tom- I think that is quite superb -you could give the mill a slight pinkish hue perhaps, WDYT?

Comment

I know this place very well Tom the PP technique you have used here has certainly added a twist to the scene. Well done👍
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Tom,
                      I (for one) am stunned! I really didn't appreciate how much work you had to do to create the effect. Great job
                      Russell
                      Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Thanks hhcanon, Peter & Russell for stopping by.

That might be interesting effect hhcanon, to put a little pink on the mill, however then it would be true to the Daguerreotype images. It was a BW process that the only coloring was caused by the chemicals that gave those orange and blue splotches of color on the print.

Tom

Comment

Really Good Tom, always nice to see different effects, that's how we learn.

Regards Paul

Comment

now that looks old, great treatment again Tom
                            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks Paul & Stephen for stopping by.

Comment

Working...
                              X