Been doing some street B&W stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing some street B&W stuff

It's been pretty grey in Glasgow lately with the leaves starting to fall off the trees, so it looks like Autumn is on the way. As you know Glasgow is a pretty dirty, smelly and overall dull and moody town. So sometimes going out and snapping folk can have you in hot water with the locals. They really don't like being photographed, so you need to be careful.

However, with that said I don't try to annoy many folk, so here is what I've managed with the new 70-200 2.8L IS II USM on the 7D so far this week. I'll order it from the ones I like first.

Female Cyclist
    Her eyes just connected with the camera as she past and just made the pic for me.

The Connection by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

My first Pan attempt
    Hard thing to get right and I'm no expert, but I liked the fast you can see the passenger looking.

My first go at Panning by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

Hard man resting
    This guy was sleeping when I passed him at first then woke up and gave me a really weird look

Time for a think by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

Big Issue Ma'am?
    This wee woman sits there everyday in rain or snow, and always smiles at everyone.

No one cares by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

Not sure how technical these pics are but I really don't understand composition beyond the rule of thirds. It's lost on me and I prefer to shoot when my mind says 'OK'.

As far as processing goes, it's really just all done in Photoshop CS6 using the Levels for global adjustment, curves and the Red and Yellow sliders (in B&W adjustment layer) for minor changes. Unsharp Mask was used in all of them I'm sure.

So far so good with the lens, but it's making me dangerously eager to get out more.

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Been doing some street B&W stuff

I like all of those the cyclist being my favorite as you say the eyes make it.
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Quote .... I really don't understand composition beyond the rule of thirds. It's lost on me and I prefer to shoot when my mind says 'OK'.

Same as me Paul.
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
        I like all of those the cyclist being my favorite as you say the eyes make it.
        Cheers Paul

Originally posted by wayne2418 View Post
        Quote .... I really don't understand composition beyond the rule of thirds. It's lost on me and I prefer to shoot when my mind says 'OK'.

Same as me Paul.
        It'll be my downfall own day I'm sure, but for now I've spent far too long on theory and not a lot of time shooting. I'm drastically needing to change that.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Very well done Paul. Really like the gentleman resting and the BW conversion is spot on.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
            Very well done Paul. Really like the gentleman resting and the BW conversion is spot on.

Tom
            Thanks Tom. Must admit that everyone I spoke to liked this image the most, and for me it does nothing, however, purely because I missed out on the shot of him that I wanted and felt this was a second bite at the cherry. The original image was a straight on of him sleeping on the bench as he was when I met him. He then woke up and gave me a really horrible look as if to say "You even think about taking a picture of me and you will have a new grey tail"

SO I went around the back way out of the road and snapped him from further away.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
              he gave me a really horrible look as if to say "You even think about taking a picture of me and you will have a new grey tail" .

Oh argh !!! THAT look !!! lol .....
              [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by wayne2418 View Post
                Oh argh !!! THAT look !!! lol .....
                I get the look a lot. Maybe I should not stand out by buying big white lenses lol.
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

I get the look a lot. Maybe I should not stand out by buying big white lenses lol.
                  Paul...BIG WHITE, is GOOD

Comment

Many, many years ago, I spent a couple of 'lost weekends' in Glasgow, I was up in Dundee for a year, and was invited over to Glasgow by a friend. I loved every minute, I didn't find (or think) Glasgow dirty/smelly or dull, saying that we didn't get much further than Barlinnie Prison Officers Social Club

Back to your images, all good, and the gritty processing suits the subjects.

Really like No 3, but that white ornate metalwork in the BG bugs me a bit, I'd consider a crop or clone to remove some of it.

Good work all round though.
                    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Brilliant shots there. Love them all

Comment

A very nice set Paul.
                        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks very much folks, and Les yes Glasgow is a lot of fun and a lot more colourful at night ;)
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

If it's any consolation, I get that look too with my small, black lenses.
                            Must be my deodorant....
                            I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

I really like these, particularly the cyclist. They all really suit the black and white treatment you've given them.
                              Do think you are being a little harsh on Glasgow. I think it is a great city for street photography. It may not have consistent weather, but it certainly has got lots of opportunity for shooting images great, hugely diverse images. And, I think your recent work proves that
                              Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                              Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X