Black and White Glasgow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black and White Glasgow

I've been playing about with some new LR presets I bought and I've had some interesting results. Luckily this morning the river was like a mirror so I jumped at the chance to grab some shots.

Kibble Palace, Glasgow
    by campsiestreet, on Flickr

Glasgow Tower

Finnieston Crane, Glasgow

Armadillo, Glasgow

Tower Reflection, Glasgow

In speaking with the photographer who made presets I have been challenged in that he uses a Nikon D810 and we've been speaking about the differencies in the sensor tech between the 5DIII and the D810. I noticed the files falling apart a lot faster on the 5DIII than on any of the D810 shots he sent over to work on.

Shame, but a sad reality of today if you're into landscape. Something I still don't believe will be resolved in the new 50mp line up. They are after all just bigger 7DII sensors.

Hope they aren't too moody lol

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Black and White Glasgow

Love the processing and the composition of all the images. Very well done Paul. Not sure what you mean though by "the files falling apart"?

Tom

Comment

Cheers Tom. Pushing the skies to almost black results in posterisation and it's plain to spot when its done so you need to then under expose the blue sky to do it. That then has a knock on effect on the shadow areas when you try to recover them. You end up with loads luminance noise and you're lucky if you can goa few stops up. The d810 files I had a play of just seemed to need another setting in LR, +11 if you will. It was quite disheartening.

It's ok at theses small file sizes for the web but more noticable on prints. I didn't believe the claims about the dynamic range of the canon sensors but it really is quite poor compared to the competition.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul,
        What a superb set of black and white images. I really like the dynamism of the architecture , the angle you have shot at, the compositions, the processing - all round it's truly excellent work
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Some good compositions especially the second shot. Not a fan of the processing on the first though - the tree looks really strange

stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
            Paul,
            What a superb set of black and white images. I really like the dynamism of the architecture , the angle you have shot at, the compositions, the processing - all round it's truly excellent work
            James
            Cheers Jim :)

Originally posted by Stan View Post
            Some good compositions especially the second shot. Not a fan of the processing on the first though - the tree looks really strange

stan
            Yes Stan the tree looks right out of place. It was a really hard balance to get right. Looks almost IR in some way. A work in progress :)
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
              Cheers Tom. Pushing the skies to almost black results in posterisation and it's plain to spot when its done so you need to then under expose the blue sky to do it. That then has a knock on effect on the shadow areas when you try to recover them. You end up with loads luminance noise and you're lucky if you can goa few stops up. The d810 files I had a play of just seemed to need another setting in LR, +11 if you will. It was quite disheartening.

It's ok at theses small file sizes for the web but more noticable on prints. I didn't believe the claims about the dynamic range of the canon sensors but it really is quite poor compared to the competition.

Thanks for the explanation Paul.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

stan
                with Stan on the tree shot, although all the reflection shots are very nice

So what LR presets did you get? always interested in making life a little bit easier with a click edit ;o)
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Yep those reflection shots are really good Paul

Comment

paul my lad has just sold up and changed to nikon ,he has a d810 .so i keep getting all this crap drummed into my head daily .but lets put it to rights the larger sensor while giving more in one direction loses it in others .while having better dynamic range it suffers from needing huge amounts of computer space ,while giving you massive file sizes it needs premium glass and also top rate processing skills as it throws up the smallest error in either .
                    its not always the biggest and shiniest that does it my lad has just spent the best part of 10 grand on camera and lenses and he is still not happy with the performance .you have good gear just use it and enjoy it .you never know whats around the corner in this fast disintegrating world we live in .

Comment

Appreciate that Jeff. Hoping to pair it up with the Nikkor 14-24 2.8 and that's all I want to own, maybe a wee 50mm prime or 35mm. Hit it pretty hard over the last few years and now I want to change and relax, shoot some easy stuff, take it easy and travel a bit with the mrs.

Yeah I've spent about £10.5k and to be honest I have no idea why lol it's just not worth doing :)
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                        paul my lad has just sold up and changed to nikon ,he has a d810 .so i keep getting all this crap drummed into my head daily .but lets put it to rights the larger sensor while giving more in one direction loses it in others .while having better dynamic range it suffers from needing huge amounts of computer space ,while giving you massive file sizes it needs premium glass and also top rate processing skills as it throws up the smallest error in either .
                        its not always the biggest and shiniest that does it my lad has just spent the best part of 10 grand on camera and lenses and he is still not happy with the performance .you have good gear just use it and enjoy it .you never know whats around the corner in this fast disintegrating world we live in .
                        well said Jeff and agree completely - makes you wonder " the grass in greener "
                        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Great set Paul, nice processing and well spotted that reflection shot.

Bill.
                          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

That's a good set of images.The first is ok, but I really like the second one. The angle and patterns are great.
                            The reflection one is also nicely done.
                            Andy
                            Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

3rd shot of the crane is the strongest image for me.

As for kit, I'm waiting to see what the 5D4 is like and how that and the 5Ds will affect the 2nd hand 5D3 prices. It's tough at the moment because the Nikon D750 looks so good as a wedding camera, but then a lot of people are using micro 4/3 and mirrorless cameras too. There's so much choice I'm not sure which horse to bet on.

However, my Dad's advice always comes to mind - if in doubt, do nowt!
                              Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Working...
                              X