Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been converted...

...to the ease of an IR camera.

After getting increasingly fed up with the hassle of using an IR filter on my old Nikon D50 I finally gave in and bought a IR enabled 1000D. It's so much nicer being able to frame the shot and focus without having to mess around with a tripod and having to compose and manually focus first then carefully screw on the filter so as not to upset the focus before taking a longish exposure picture - which almost invaribaly meant that trees showed a bit of movement in the leaves etc...

Now I get nice crisp images like this.
    Attached Files
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Re: I've been converted...

interesting image and I like that

I've been considering converting an old 350D thats sat somewhere into IR ... still just researching right now
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Super IR shot.
      I have a converted Fuji XE-1 & what I find is what at first glance appears a fairly ordinary scene & probably not worth photographing can look blistering in IR.
      Best of luck with your new toy. Enjoy !
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Nicely done.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
          I have a converted Fuji XE-1
          did you convert it yourself or send it away ? if so what was the cost

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Looks good and I like the reflections, shame you lost the top/bottom of the right hand tree.

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              Looks good and I like the reflections, shame you lost the top/bottom of the right hand tree.

Stan
              didn't notice the size of the image or scroll ! - but yes I agree Stan shame to loose the tree top in the reflection

Comment

Hi I have a question. When converting to ir do you have to replace the filter with ir filter or just remove the ir blocking filter. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mandysm3 View Post
                  Hi I have a question. When converting to ir do you have to replace the filter with ir filter or just remove the ir blocking filter. Thanks
                  this was a dedicated IR camera - no filter

Comment

I've taken the ir filter out of a Panasonic bridge camera. Is it best to replace it with clear glass or something else. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

Stan
                      Thanks Stan, I actually posted the wrong version, the other has the complete reflection... Doh!
                      Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by mandysm3 View Post
                        When converting a camera to dedicated IR the normal IR cut (hot mirror) is removed and replaced with an IR filter attached to the sensor - typically a 720nm type but there other options such as an 830nm which eliminates pretty much all visible light and couple aroundthe 600nm mark that are particularly suited to false colour images. See here for more details.

Replacing the hot mirror with a plain glass filter means that the camera can still be used normally and only does IR or UV with the appropriate filter attached to the lens. Trouble is this doesn't make IR any easier as you then still have to compose and focus first, on a tripod preferably, before attaching the IR filter as they are pretty opaque in the visible spectrum - particularly the 720 and 830 filters - and trying to focus/compose with the filter on is pretty much impossible... With the IR filter attached to the sensor the camera can be used and, mostly, focused normally.

One side effect is that the camera needs to be recalibrated to correctly focus IR. Mine appears to have been done with either a 50mm lens or possibly a zoom in the 17-70mm range as any lens falling in that range focuses normally with the the standard AF system. With my 10-20 lens or anything long I have to focus with the live view which is a bit of a pain but effective.

Thanks all for your comments.
                        Last edited by El Sid; 19-05-2015, 16:51.
                        Nigel

Comment

Working...
                        X