Millennium Bridge York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millennium Bridge York

My next Camera club competition is B&W print. So I took a long lunch from work and headed to the Millennium Bridge in York. I originally wanted a long exposure but the sun had different ideas today. This was taken on the 1DmkII with a canon 28mm prime, hitech pro 10 stop and cokin 0.6 soft grad at 45 degrees to balance the sky out a bit.

Millennium Bridge York by Paul Raybould, on Flickr
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Re: Millennium Bridge York

I like the composition. Wonder whether it needs a bit more detail in the shadow areas though.
    Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Birdy View Post
      I like the composition. Wonder whether it needs a bit more detail in the shadow areas though.
      Agree

Tom

Comment

Thanks Andrew and Tom I did a test print tonight before sending it to my printer and it is not as dark on the print ie you can see detail under the bridge at the other side of the river I don't know why it is darker on the screen

Flickr
        Facebook

Comment

A nicely composed shot Paul, but the shadow area under the bridge does need bit of brightening up. The detail is there, but not easy to appreciate.

Glad that the print shows it better.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave

Flickr
            Facebook

Comment

Yes I would agree re the shadows but if it shows when printed then all good. The composition is excellent and the reflected water on the bridge is a nice addition. Good luck with it in the comp Paul.
              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

agree with the others re shadows - but nice work Paul
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Alan and Ian

Flickr
                  Facebook

Comment

Hi Paul,
                    I like the idea behind this shot but could I suggest something a bit different for you to try.
                    First, shooting with a ten stop filter simplifies the scene by smudging out the detail in the sky - I like that idea. ( you are mistaken when you say the image shown was taken with a ten stop filter - the Exif data for the picture shows that was not possible)
                    Second, try to exclude any trees - a shot of the arcing ironwork against a smudged out sky would just of sing modernity.
                    Thirdly, a high contrast black and white conversion in something like Nik Silver Effex Pro would work well.
                    If you look on the web at good black and white architectural photography they usually are very savage in there simplicity - I think those elements are in this bridge and in your original concept for your photograph
                    Hope that helps
                    James
                    James Boardman Woodend
                    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                      Hi Paul,
                      I like the idea behind this shot but could I suggest something a bit different for you to try.
                      First, shooting with a ten stop filter simplifies the scene by smudging out the detail in the sky - I like that idea. ( you are mistaken when you say the image shown was taken with a ten stop filter - the Exif data for the picture shows that was not possible)
                      Second, try to exclude any trees - a shot of the arcing ironwork against a smudged out sky would just of sing modernity.
                      Thirdly, a high contrast black and white conversion in something like Nik Silver Effex Pro would work well.
                      If you look on the web at good black and white architectural photography they usually are very savage in there simplicity - I think those elements are in this bridge and in your original concept for your photograph
                      Hope that helps
                      James
                      Thanks James
                      I was mistaken about the 10 stop as I had taken a few with and without I may have to go back and retake the image with your idea about not having any trees in the image. Will have to go later in the day to get the shutter speed down a bit more but should be worth the effort

Flickr
                      Facebook

Comment

I think so - best of luck - do share your efforts as we all enjoy looking at people's work on this forum
                        James
                        James Boardman Woodend
                        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Will do thanks again James I think I went with this shot at the time as I wanted to show the other end of the bridge with the arc coming down to it.

Flickr
                          Facebook

Comment

Working...
                          X