Seaton Junction Footbridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seaton Junction Footbridge

The Southern Railway built some exceedingly attractive locomotives and their lines passed through stunning countryside such a pity then that they insisted in constructing most of their infrastructure, from fence posts to whole stations, out of highly unattractive concrete

This footbridge at Seaton Junction is one such example but is unusual in that it was far longer than most as it crossed both the Southern Main Line to Exeter and the line departing for Seaton - in total six tracks - but, with both station and branch line closed and the main line singled, it now crosses but one line.

One shot from each end (guess which end is furthest from prying eyes ):

Seaton Junction Footbridge, Devon - 01 by John Leah, on Flickr

Seaton Junction Footbridge, Devon - 02 by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Re: Seaton Junction Footbridge

Both work well John but are showing on the forum as a bit oversharpened, particularly the bushes in the first. Looking on flickr they are fine and I think what has happened in posting on the forum at a much smaller size than you uploaded has resulted in the oversharpening. This seemed to happen on another image the other day as well - better I think just to post to flickr at no more than 900 px and post to the forum the same or the next option down

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan, I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to chew it over as I want Flickr to be showing my images at their best but the same is true of what I post here. Immediate thought, to achieve what you suggest, is to post on Flickr twice in two different resolutions but having dual images seems messy and, were one to be 'private', lacking the click-through from here to Flickr which I feel is important to appreciate a Flickr image without the loss of quality so many experience when uploaded to here. Assuming, of course, that I understood the advice you kindly gave I'll have to think about this

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Like the perspective you used John

Tom

Comment

Assuming, of course, that I understood the advice you kindly gave
          you are correct John

As regards quality, all my images on flickr are posted at 900 px on the longest side and viewing them at that size always shows them at their best - at least I think so !!!

flickr

Comment

I do like that 2nd one John, well spotted and agree with Tom great perspective
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Tom and Ian

Well, here's the pair again after uploading to Flickr at 900px:

IMG_9996-900px by John Leah, on Flickr

IMG_9995-900px by John Leah, on Flickr

Is there a discernable difference?

Ooh someone has 'faved' 9996-900px already

Cheers,
              John

Comment

on this occasion, not a lot of difference so back to the drawing board

stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                  on this occasion, not a lot of difference so back to the drawing board

stan
                  Yes my conclusion too. I did a side-by-side comparison and the difference was infinitesimal and not worth reducing on Flickr.

I do find, however, that Silver Efex can be a bit tetchy and introduce halos so, perhaps, this is just a Nik thing Thanks for raising it though

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X