B&W and Lightroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&W and Lightroom

Hi, I have run a shot through Lightroom and took out a couple of anomalies with Photoshop, but I'm just not sure. I have only been using LR for a week or so, I only have one useful eye which isn't that great, but I really am struggling with LR in B&W, can someone with LR experience give me a few tips please? As in contrast and clarity etc.

Last edited by Butch; 21-10-2016, 12:44.

Re: B&W and Lightroom

In LR if you press the J key (don't hold it down) then adjusting the white slider will show overexposure as red on the image and similarly adjusting the blacks slider will show underexposed (totally black areas) as blue on the image.
    I usually add some clarity and adjust highlights too.
    hope that helps...?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
      In LR if you press the J key (don't hold it down) then adjusting the white slider will show overexposure as red on the image and similarly adjusting the blacks slider will show underexposed (totally black areas) as blue on the image.
      I usually add some clarity and adjust highlights too.
      hope that helps...?
      Thank you Brian, much appreciated, I have a 'LR for dummies' guide, I don't think it's an official document, but it's a bit like War and Peace, it's very hard to follow, I always prefer to hear from real people.

I think I've over clarified this shot, I'm not too sure it was 100% in focus to start with, but it just doesn't look how I imagined it, I am struggling for words as I'm a photography noob, but it just lacks a lot of things when I look at experienced photographers B&W work.

Comment

It doesn't look too bad to me but then I wouldn't say Im very experienced with black and white.
        On this shot I'd try using a clarity brush on the building only....leaving the background with less contract and add a vignette.
        You could try a gradient filter from the bottom up - and adjust contract, brightness to see what effect that gives you.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I hope you don't mind....Ive had a go with the low res version lifted from the thread...not sure its any better...Ill take it down if you like?
          church-2707_zps01gr1zbm.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

You might find this helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NASVAviqJIE

he has a whole bunch of B&W tutorials that are well worth a watch, you have to listen to his sales pitch for a few seconds but that is no big deal

Ian
            EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Working...
            X