Trial Session.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trial Session.

Not taken B & W before so having a go over the last few days, comments welcome.
    Dave

4S7A9054 by David Miller, on Flickr

4S7A9032 by David Miller, on Flickr

4S7A9026 by David Miller, on Flickr

4S7A9023 by David Miller, on Flickr

Nice set David,I’m not a great fan of B&W but I do like those - I must have ago sometime
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

All 4 photos look great in B&W.

My favourites are number 2 and 4.
      Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Good set David, the last one has most appeal to me.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Nice set of photos.

I think trees represent a good subject for monochrome work.
          Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

A good start I must say. The first one is a touch muddy and could do with a bit more contrast & tonal separation - simple curves layer boosting the mid-tones and highlights while preserving the black gives this:

Attached Files
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Must say you have improved the shot Nigel, I have no idea what the process you are talking about, and though I admit all you have done does make a superior shot, the original is how it came out and that remains my philosophy. But thanks.

Comment

A very nice set David, nos 2 and 4 are the best for me.

I don’t know if your 7D has this facility but on some camera models you can apply internally different coloured filters in B/W mode to change the contrast, might be something interesting to play with if it’s available to you.

Ian
                Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Sid has raised the first to a new level and shown you what is possible and I think the last one too, which is also particularly good, can be improved with minimum effort as the clouds need just a tweak to bring out the detail lurking there.

In old days when Ilford B&W film was king a simple yellow filter attached to the lens was all that we needed and different colours produced different results. Moving forward a while to the digital age exactly the same technique can be employed in the software of your choice as they all have buttons to apply those filters that the photographer absentmindedly left at home. If necessary you could even alter the exposure a stop or two exactly as you can adjust the exposure when taking the shot.

I know your philosophy, Dave, and some of the wild HDRs and massively oversaturated efforts can even set my teeth on edge but is doing something at the keyboard where exactly the same result could have been done in camera quite so bad?

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Nice series David with subjects that suit B&W, as you don't go in for post processing we're these captured with you camera in a monochrome mode?
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                      Nice series David with subjects that suit B&W, as you don't go in for post processing we're these captured with you camera in a monochrome mode?
                      Yes it was..

Comment

Nice set. Number 4 for me is my favourite.

Curious after reading you don't like to edit (completely understand why by the way) are you shooting in jpeg? If not it might be worth trying as this will almost bring some more contrast etc out in the image without the need of editing. Raw files need editing as they tend to look a bit washed out in camera

Comment

Thanks Nath, I do shoot in Raw in case I want some printed off, but simply change them to jpeg for on here and my blog.

Comment

Working...
                          X