Mug of coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mug of coffee

Messing around indoors today and found myself snapping this hot mug of coffee with steam emerging.
    This it my best attempt.

40D with the monochrome pic style so I could see my B&W image on the lcd as I sanpped
    1/60 f1.8 iso 100

C&C welcome,
    Trev

Re: Mug of coffee

Nice one Trev, I like the swirls in the steam, particularly the little swirl top left that looks as if it is trying to escape from the main mass.

I may have been tempted to slightly darken the bright edge of the mug at the bottom and possibly the bright reflection on the table / counter as I find it drags my eyes away from the steam which I feel is the real star of the show.

Comment

This is a lovely shot. the steam is particularly nice
      regards
      Donald

Comment

I may have been tempted to slightly darken the bright edge of the mug at the bottom and possibly the bright reflection on the table / counter as I find it drags my eyes away from the steam which I feel is the real star of the show.
        Thanks Muscat, good points. I will try again, watching out for those things

Thanks Donald

Trev

Comment

Nice use of flash!
          ef-r

Comment

Nice use of flash!
            Thanks Brian, there was some natual light, I had a flash on 1/128th with a 1/8 grid about a metre away to the left,behind the mug.

I just got the HONL grid this morning and I hope to be trying more stuff with it:-)

Trev

Comment

Like it...would clone out the bright bit on the handle which I find quite distracting

Comment

would clone out the bright bit on the handle which I find quite distracting
                Thanks for your feedback, I agree :-)

Trev

Comment

Not my cup of tea
                  only joking, I like this and love the steam rising from the mug.
                  There can be some minor improvements but the idea is a great one, I love people who experiment with their images.
                  Last edited by Hereford_EOS2; 12-01-2012, 15:00.

Comment

Thanks for commentting Stephen. Lessons have been learned. :-)

I might have reshoot, to iron out all the mistakes.

Trev

Comment

simple but effective.. like it.
                      “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                      http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Thanks Mazzie

Trev

Comment

A good concept, often the simple things that work the best and worth shooting again to iron out those problems that have been mentioned

The flash positioning was very effective to capture the steam. I wonder if standing the cup on a non reflective surface, ie black card or similar, would overcome the highlights on the surface

Stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Cheers Stan, I have just re-shot. I was able improve on some of the points raised I couldn't reproduce the steam, which as Muscat pointed out was 'the star of the show'. I prefer the first attempt with all it's flaws, these two are a bit flat

Trev

Comment

Hi Trev,

Like the 1st one, because of the rim lighting on the side and the way the steam was raising from the cup.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X