Northern Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern Lights

I'm really in two minds whether these are good enough to post as they're not the best quality images (really quite noisy as it needed 15 secs @f2.8 and iso 800 to get a useable exposure) but hope you like them anyway.

Taken with a G10 sitting on a mini tripod from the flightdeck whilst en-route to Trondheim, Norway. It was a magical display !
    Attached Files
    EOS400D/Tamron 18-250/Canon 35mm f2/G10

Re: Northern Lights

You're very lucky to have seen them. They were visible from the north of england not long ago. Typical me missed it.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Much better Northern Lights pictures than I have got.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

agree with Colin, far better than anything I've got!
        Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Comment

My two trips towards the artic [EFRO (Rovaniemi) and ENTO (Sandefjord)] and there wasn't a northern light to be seen. I have seen a 'poor' display from Scotland.

We are overdue a sunspot outbreak ... that with solar flares etc should mean we are in for a treat from north of 53°N
          Last edited by MX5; 28-02-2012, 19:24.

Comment

Good pictures,we were clouded over the other week so missed them,can share your settings to give me a starting point to work from?
            Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Here in Italy we can just dream shows like these... so for me it's always exciting to admire these shots of the northern lights. The moment you've captured is splendid as the colors and the shooting point makes even more beautiful these photos!!
              Anna

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
                Good pictures,we were clouded over the other week so missed them,can share your settings to give me a starting point to work from?
                Settings were driven by direct feedback from the LCD. In the G10, the maximum shutter(exposure time) speed is 15secs and the lens was wide open at f2.8. I had to keep increasing the ISO to get useable images.

(Thinking about it now - would 15 secs, f2.8, ISO200 and +2 exposure compensation have been any different ?)

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
                  Settings were driven by direct feedback from the LCD. In the G10, the maximum shutter speed (exposure time) is 15secs and the lens was wide open at f2.8. I had to keep increasing the ISO to get useable images.

(Thinking about it now - would 15 secs, f2.8, ISO200 and +2 exposure compensation have been any different ?)

Comment

Sorry - didn't mean to repeat myself myself. Can the mods delete post #8?

Comment

Is it better to use the base ISO , longer exposure for less noise ?

Comment

Working...
                      X