The Unseen Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Unseen Light

Sharing a few of my infrared photographs.

Shot using my classic Canon 400D with a Sigma 10-20mm lens attached and Generic R72 IR filter.
    Processed in false colour using ACR and PS.

RODEL JOSELITO B. MANABAT
    500px | Facebook | Flickr | Giving Light

Re: The Unseen Light

I like this, I have a few questions which I hope you don'tmind me asking.

How do you find the modern Canon senors work with the IR filters? do they have enough sensitivity for sensible exposures or are you into very long exposures and do you have focusing problems due to the density of the IR filter?

I haven't done any IR photography in well over 20 years and you may have tweeked an old passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
      I like this, I have a few questions which I hope you don'tmind me asking.

How do you find the modern Canon senors work with the IR filters? do they have enough sensitivity for sensible exposures or are you into very long exposures and do you have focusing problems due to the density of the IR filter?

I haven't done any IR photography in well over 20 years and you may have tweeked an old passion.
      The Canon bodies I have used for IR which turned out well is the 400D and 5Dmk1 with exposure up to 30-seconds. With these bodies I adjust the lens to focus first before putting on the filter.

I own a 5Dmk2 but have not explored its IR capabilities but based on friends that have shot IR with a 5Dmk2 exposure time is much much longer i.e. 3-minutes.

The new 5Dmk3 has a pretty decent outcome and is a dream camera for me. A friend of mine owns one and have shot a few IR's. It focuses well even with the filter on or focus manually using the live view function.

Comment

Many thanks for the information, I have the 5D3 so may invest in one of the R72 filters and have a play.

Comment

Many thanks for the information, I have the 5D3 so may invest in one of the R72 filters and have a play.
          Wow I'm so envious. Make sure to pick the right lens though as some have hot spots. A Canon 17-40mm f/4L is a good choice.

Comment

Thanks, I have ordered the Hoya R72 77mm filter and planned on using it with my 17-40 or 24-105. Thanks for the info

Comment

Shot using a Canon 5Dmk1 with a Canon 17-40mm f/4L lens attached and Hoya R72 IR filter.
              Likewise, processed in false colour using ACR and PS.
              Exposure is longer this time i.e. f/16, 89.0 sec, ISO 100

Comment

Nice I like it

Comment

Would anybody know if this works with an EOS1000D?
                  The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Originally posted by JaKS_Foto View Post
                    Would anybody know if this works with an EOS1000D?
                    I did some googling on this recently and a simple test that i found on the internet was to try taking a picture of the InfraRed remote control. What they said to do was in a darkened room hold the control about 12 inches away and pointing at the camera, press one of the control buttons on the device to activate the IR beam and with the camera at ISO 100, 1/20 and the lens wide open take a picture. If you get a nice white blob then you are good to go, if you get a red blob then you will need to give the image a lot longer exposure and make more corrections in the colour management.

Maybe Rodel can offer some more info as well.

Comment

Quite liked the first shot, but loved the second. The cloud streaks from the long exposure really make the shot interesting.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

I did some googling on this recently and a simple test that i found on the internet was to try taking a picture of the InfraRed remote control. What they said to do was in a darkened room hold the control about 12 inches away and pointing at the camera, press one of the control buttons on the device to activate the IR beam and with the camera at ISO 100, 1/20 and the lens wide open take a picture. If you get a nice white blob then you are good to go, if you get a red blob then you will need to give the image a lot longer exposure and make more corrections in the colour management.

Maybe Rodel can offer some more info as well.
                        Sorry for the very late reply. I have not used a 1000D neither have my friends but I'll try to fish around for answers.

Comment

Here's one of my favourites to date. Shot using a Canon 5Dmk1 and 17-40mm f/4L with Hoya R72 filter.
                          Exposure at f/8, 30-sec, ISO 100

Comment

I had a chance to explore for the first time my 5Dmk2's infrared capability. The 5Dmk2 is very notorious when it comes to noise when shooting infared so turning the "noise reduction ON" would be a great idea.

5Dmk2 | 17-40mm f/4L | Hoya R72 | f/5.6 | ISO 400 | 45-sec

Comment

Really like these, last one(second image) is stunning.

Paul
                              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Working...
                              X