Dunstanburgh Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunstanburgh Castle

I dont normally take many landscape shots (unless it happens to be in the area I am taking wildlife shots), but recently got a new laptop and as often happens with me (could not organise a proverbial p1ss up in a brewery) I found this one of Dunstanburgh castle I took a while back whilst on holiday in Northumberland...had a play (put a frame round it etc) and thought I would ask you lot for help and advice...C and C welcome...ta in advance. MM

I did what I thought was 'correct' within the image...i.e. the castle is on the thirds etc...but any other ideas for future reference would be great...

Re: Dunstanburgh Castle

That's a nice shot.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Nice shot. As far as I can tell it has all the right elements. Nice foreground interest with the rocks and water. Interesting sky, and the castle ruins in the background.

Comment

Superb shot...ticks all the boxes...
        ...there is symmetry in chaos....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mosscroft-images/
        http://500px.com/DouglasMcMann/

Comment

A really well composed picture of an interesting scene. If I had any criticism it would be that the foreground rocks seem a little unsharp as they appear on my screen. Was it hand-held or from a tripod?
          Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

The castle sits comfortably in the frame (on the thirds), but most landscape images need leading lines that invite you into the image, those rocks in the FG especially the curve, lead you out of the composition, as it curves horizontally, it also acts as a barrier to entering the scene,

I'd be tempted to make it a panorama, crop to just below where the sea/rocks meet on the left, then the secondary rock line (starting from bottom right after crop) is strong enough to lead you n.
            Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Hi all. Thanks for the comments...ax2010...I have printed it out for the wall, and it is sharp on the print...BUT I do remember when processing backing off from sharpening too much as a halo began to show itself on the castle. I had it on a tripod and I think it was cable release? If not I imagine it would have been timed (2secs)? Also...it appears sharp on my screen in the larger file, but not as sharp on my ipad when viewing the webfile you are seeing? Any ideas would be great. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                I'd be tempted to make it a panorama, crop to just below where the sea/rocks meet on the left, then the secondary rock line (starting from bottom right after crop) is strong enough to lead you n.
                I will give that a go (although I do like the print in its frame already - and I suppose until I get into landscape on a greater scale, I will be happy with 'most landscapes' rather than all needing leading lines until the framed one bugs me)...is there a specific crop dimension for landscapes panoramas? i.e some kind of ratio that I should try to stick to? 1:2 1:3 1:4 etc?

Again thanks...I am happy with all the help I can get on this one...

Comment

How about this? Which one do you prefer? Have asked the same on Facebook using a poll and the two images...will let you know what happens in a few days...

personally I still prefer the first one...but that may be because I don't normally do landscapes, so I frame what I like to see, rather than sticking to the 'rules' of landscape...I don't know them to stick to...BUT I do believe the more info I can glean from you lot the better the chances I will not just be framing what I like to see, but what is correct as well. So keep the comments coming and I will keep trying to get it right. Cheers.
                  Last edited by minime; 12-05-2012, 21:08.

Comment

I love the second version - my only crit is that the shot looks like leans to the right (check the sea level) I would still have that hanging on my wall in an instant if I had taken it

.DAVID.
                    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

I agree with you, Minime; I too prefer the first version. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! The lack of sharpness must be in my screen. Anyway, it's a lovely picture.
                      Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Wonder what they look like in mono? I love mono but cant get that old school, grain look. Top pics and one great location.

Mick

Comment

Working...
                        X