Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stourhead gardens

Stourhead, Wiltshire, last Tuesday.

The National Trust are supposedly getting twitchy about images of their properties and land, but they still let you take shots, which is just as well. I had to balance carefully halfway down a steep embankment near the water, while a keen groundsman on a John Deere lawn cutter tried to mow me down. He missed.

C+C welcome

Re: Stourhead gardens

Nice one Rob. You've got the light exactly right. Glad you survived to share the photo. Why is the NT getting so touchy about photography – surely it can only work in their favour.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      Nice one Rob. You've got the light exactly right. Glad you survived to share the photo. Why is the NT getting so touchy about photography – surely it can only work in their favour.
      I think it's because they make £££s from images, both as products (cards etc), but also selling direct prints. Here's the story...http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_281614.html

Have re-cropped the shot to exclude the cut-off tree on the left, which has also moved the big tree more to the left. Ducks have gone! I must be getting sloppy in my old age...

Comment

I keep being taken away from the view to the bright patch and solitary tree on the left, the more I look the more it distracts. I think less would be more?

Graeme

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
          I keep being taken away from the view to the bright patch and solitary tree on the left, the more I look the more it distracts. I think less would be more?

Graeme
          I agree in fact - that's why I think the first one is great. To my mind the half tree on the left in acts a bit like a barrier. It stops the eye from going out of the picture, and the tiny white dots of the ducks helps to bring the eye back to the centre of the photo. To be honest I didn't notice the half tree! It is indeed a well balanced and symmetrical image!
          Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

NT must get a life. How many hours have been wasted to find 10,000 photos they want taken off Alamy's site. Muppets!

I prefer the uncropped version but without the ducks.
            Dave

Comment

I really like the second, nice colour and great setting! Maybe the lawn mower man mistook your hair and was going for that.... (has anyone seen that film while I remember, it was weird!). I think a few ducks in the foreground would have made it perfect.... Thats it back, you go again....!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob.Richards View Post
                I really like the second, nice colour and great setting! Maybe the lawn mower man mistook your hair and was going for that.... (has anyone seen that film while I remember, it was weird!). I think a few ducks in the foreground would have made it perfect.... Thats it back, you go again....!
                Firstly, I don't have any hair. The avatar is of Andy Warhol - I'm much more glabrous.

Secondly - you people up in 'the North' are all the same. If you think for one minute that I'm going to spoil a nice pretty shot with some crappy ducks in the foreground you are mistaken. So there!

Comment

Wow, great colours, great photo. Pity about the ducks
                  David

http://hotkeezphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

How would it look up-side-down?
                    Dave

Comment

Haha! This is a beautiful image Rob. Luvaduck!!
                      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                        How would it look up-side-down?

Comment

Originally posted by hotkeez View Post
                          Wow, great colours, great photo. Pity about the ducks
                          I was going to shoot 'em first, but the National Trust have a policy on that too...

Comment

Didn't know that ducks could come in such vibrant colours or maybe NT painted them - need to attract the tourists I guess!
                            Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Working...
                            X